Spider plant leaves

wiccadgardener(z8 CA)August 5, 2011

Some of my spider plant's leaves, instead of arching gracefully, bend? fold? crease? I'm not sure how to describe it. It happens with the older, larger plants, the younger plants are fine, so I'm thinking it may be irregular watering (because the larger plants dry out faster, and at different rates).

I hope you can understand what I mean, it's not a major thing, they're healthy otherwise. They just don't look as good as they could.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elkay_gw

I have this problem to some extent, also. Young plants are fine, but a few leaves on the older, larger plants bend in half. I thought it was from damage, like bumping into the plant or the plant falling - or just the weight of the long leaf causing it to bend. Maybe if the plant WAS watered properly it COULD support the weight and not bend. I'm sure I'm guilty of not always watering like I should. Hmmm. Hope someone knows.

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 11:35AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

I've recently returned to growing Spider plants after a long absence. I grow one in Hydro & see this happen a bit too, so don't know that it's about proper watering. I just break it off at the fold, or if unsightly, remove the whole leaf.

I grew a large one years ago, but don't recall this problem. I never thought about it, but really don't know what causes it. Sorry, but it IS an interesting question.

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 2:08PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Needs more sun.

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 11:52AM
birdsnblooms

I second, needing more sun.

Are mature leaves as thick as they were when you first got your Spider? If not, it's a light and humidity problem. If the air is dry, spray once a day. Tepid water is best..especially for watering soil. Toni

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 10:01PM
grace_m(NY)

I notice this on my Ponytail palm leaves. I definitely under water it. I wonder is it's the same.

Pirate's reply about it happening when she grows spiders hydroponically has me scratching my head though.

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
Moisture Meter?
I have a mechanical moisture meter, and it has increasingly...
trclac
umbrella plant care
I recently bought an indoor umbrella plant just like...
desdurso
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™