Cant identify this variegated houseplant.

FullshadejayAugust 6, 2013

Its more of a vine than a shrub. Probably close to 6 inches in height and spreads over a large area. Very beautiful. i picked it up from a random dealer only with the knowledge it would fair well indoors with little light. Now im curious as its classification nd how it should be cared for. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petrushka

it looks to me like vinca major variegata - it's an annual for outdoors. good as a trailer in hanging baskets.

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 6:51PM
subtropix

Vinca is an evergreen perennial.

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 10:05PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

And may be all green or variegated. If in a cold climate, it is grown as an annual or as a houseplant.

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 1:10AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

It does look like Vinca, but the fullness of the pot... Could that look be achieved from seeds? No idea what else it might be, not disagreeing, just curious. On the left, one of the stems looks like it may have an aerial root.

I think it would be difficult to maintain that compact appearance for long, if that is a concern. Outside in total shade, the nodes are much farther apart. Low light inside would be exponentially less light than that. Curious to see how this does for you, if you are interested in coming back with an update at some time.

I've never seen Vinca sold as a houseplant when I lived in OH but it's hardy there, although not evergreen. The pots would always have 3-5 really long vines, never saw a pot of it that looked like that, or considered it for a permanent pot. It would make a lovely hanging basket, and looks great in the regular pot too, go figure. Fullshade, are you considering a hanging pot for this?

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 9:14AM
subtropix

Probably better in a pot, in the ground it is weedy!

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 9:41AM

Yeah!

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 10:10AM

Yeah!

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 10:11AM

Are you settled that it's Vinca, Fullshade?

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 10:00AM
florauk(8/9)

I'm 99.99% certain that the plant in the pot is not Vinca major or VInca minor.

Is it definitely an indoor plant? And is it definitely a vine? It appears to have a terminal leaflet, possibly on pinnate leaves and is pretty similar to a variegated Polemonium. Maybe a post on the Name That Plant Forum would turn up an accurate id.

Here is a link that might be useful: Polemonium

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 1:57PM
Patty zone 5

Any chance it's a variegated hoya carnosa?

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 9:00PM
petrushka

I agree that Jacobs ladder (polemonium) looks very similar, but the leaves are always very densely set. while vinca gets more and more space in between the nodes as it extends downward. which we do see in the pic.
also Jacobs ladder is strictly outdoors. and the fronds are more upward in habit, while vinca tends downward.
the density in the OP plant is rather unusual for vinca though. and I think its' not so easy to overwinter indoors, it gets buggy and it needs very good light.

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 10:12PM
florauk(8/9)

I agree it is not necessarily Polemonium. That was just a suggestion. We only have the OP's say so that this is actually a house plant and at only 6 inches it is hard to determine that it is a vine.

The terminal leaflet (rather than buds) as well as the general appearance and texture preclude Vinca and Hoya imo.

More pictures would help. For example do any of the stems branch or are they all coming from a central point in the soil? If they branch Polemonium is out. And can you give a description of its texture. Are the stems soft or woody/fibrous?

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 6:41AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Variegated China Doll is the first thing that came to my mind.

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 7:08AM
petrushka

no way it's a china doll! china dolls have very pointed tips and upright 'trunk' habit.
but where do you see terminal leaflet in the pic? i can't make it out for sure. we need a close-up!

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 11:08AM
petrushka

I think I do see a terminal leaf on the pic. I stuck the image into google search and it also came up with vinca major var.
I also thought about peperomia , though the stems are much thicker and upright. but I found this image of
pep glabella variegata that's a trailer. still, the stems don't look right.
http://www.foliera.com/en/data-sheet1.php?serch=1&prod=378&txt=1#top

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 2:54PM
florauk(8/9)

I am absolutely certain that this is not Vinca. I've marked the terminal leaflets I can see.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:20AM

Aeschynanthus? Columnea? Aptenia?

Fullshade, if you're still around and feel like adding a pic of the stem(s), that could help a lot.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 9:04AM
petrushka

that was the one and only post by OP, looks like we have more interest in the subject;).

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 12:17PM
More Discussions
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
Febuary Flowers
This is my month!! I finally have a decent amount of...
teengardener1888
Unknown house plant
I bought this Exotic Angel plant at Home Depot and...
bouldergrower
Moisture Meter?
I have a mechanical moisture meter, and it has increasingly...
trclac
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™