Help, beautiful flowers falling off.

kipperk8August 22, 2013

Hi everyone,
I'm afraid incredibly ignorant to all sorts of plant knowledge, so please excuse the stupid questions.
As you can see this plant is dying, this flower pod just fell off this evening. I'd left it by the window without water for about a week, stupid me, I know. It wasn't looking happy, but it wasn't quite dead. Over the past few days I've tried to rectify by keeping the soil moist, but I think I over-watered just this evening. I even put a tiny bit of honey in the water as I hear that can be good for reviving plants.
I came to find the plant very droopy. And this flower on the floor.
Have I killed it once and for all? Or is there something else I can do?
I tried to aerate the soil, as I hear this can be good. I fluffed it on top and then poked top layer with a toothpick.
I just hope it doesn't die. It would be such a shame.
any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pots_Alot

Appears to be an African Violet of some type
The things people are willing to believe that will help save a plant after hearing is known as" myth"
Example: Honey would clump the soil as it becomes dryer. I've no idea what roots would do in honey as they tend to like to stretch about and grow in moist to damp soil not thick, drying and clumping honey soil
Aeration may of helped but would think it needs to have all it's soil replaced chances are favorable you are going to loose any remaining buds and flowering when repotting

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 12:31AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Any chance of seeing a picture of the whole plant?

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 5:25AM
birdsnblooms

I second an entire plant photo.

Toni

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 10:56AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Sending good vibes to your plant! In the future, I might try one thing at a time. You did so many things, if one works, you/we will have no idea what helped or not. It may not be as serious as you think, no plant is intended to keep its' flowers forever, even if it constantly has some. The older ones will wither away as the new ones develop. The worst thing to do for a wilted plant, after giving it a single good drink, is to keep constantly watering it when it's not yet dry again. That won't help it hydrate faster.

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
Many websites have indoor Azalea care information wrong
From my personal experience, Azalea can adjust to heat...
jujujojo_gw
Need Help with the Id of This plant
I need to know the name of this plant and if its a...
lulu627
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™