Chlorophytum comosum (Spider Plant) Babies & Flowers

americangolden(ZONE 5B)August 15, 2011

Hello,

I've been gone on vacation for the past 2 weeks and came home to this.

I see 1 baby on the big part hanging down and then another small baby on the top. 1 Full flower and a bunch of others it looks like. Should I be pinching these flowers off to get more babies or leave them be?

I have been gone on vacation so I am unsure if the baby was formed from the flower or how that all works. Any information would be great on what I should be doing. Thanks :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
supermom7(5b)

Hi americangolden,

Congratulations! I believe the baby spiders develop everywhere you see a flower so leave the flowers on the plant for the babies to mature. You will have plenty of babies soon!

supermom

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 9:17PM
americangolden(ZONE 5B)

Thanks! This is very good news and I am glad I will have some new spider plants to start.

Does anyone know how big you let them grow to on the mother plant and do they form roots while on the mother? Thanks again!

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 10:41PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

They can grow quite large and do grow roots right on each plantlet. I let mine stay on the plant, and have had them continue growing that way for a year or more. Happy spider babies even produce babies of their own while still on the mother plant. You can remove them when they have several roots of an inch or more.

One thing I would advise you to do is give it more light. I keep mine hanging in a sunny widow for six or seven months and move it outdoors into morning sun for the months when there's no danger of frost.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 9:12AM
birdsnblooms

Late summer and autumn are two main seasons Spider Plants send out babies/shoots.

You can take cuttings while young, but there's nothing more beautiful than a Spider with shoots and flowers on all sides of Mom plant.

Some shoots can reach the floor, while hanging. Unless you have your heart set on duplicate plants, allow your Chlorophtum to grow large and let side-shoots be. Toni

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 2:48PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I leave them on, also. are new this year. That plant is hanging but I set it on the porch to take its' picture without harsh glare in the background. If your plant was outside, the flowers might get pollinated and make little black seeds (which I've never been able to germinate.) Look for side shoots eventually coming from where the flowers were.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 5:14PM
americangolden(ZONE 5B)

Wow thanks everyone for all the wonderful information :).

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 6:17PM
birdsnblooms

Purple, your Spider looks great. I prefer a full plant with several hanging shoots. Compact. Only my opinion. Toni

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 4:25PM
supermom7(5b)

Purple,

I get a ton of seeds every winter when I bring my green and white spiders inside to protect them from the harsh Ohio winter. I usually don't notice that the seed pods have opened until I get ready to vacuum and notice the seeds in the carpet. Then the following Spring when I take the spiders and other plants back outside to bask in the warmth of the sunshine, many pots have new totally green baby spider plants sprouting in them. I am told that seeds produce totally green plants even if the parent plant was green and white.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
Only 1/2 of a schefflera remaining...
4 years ago, I adopted this schefflera from a bank...
greenintrigue
Who am I?
I was at WM and this fellow was on clearance and jumped...
savannaicus
How to introduce houseplants to outside and should i worry bout rodent
I got a lot of house plants in the last 9 months. I...
tlbean2004
Please help? Need to Id these plants
i received these plants in a funeral arrangement and...
sparga83
White bugs in saucer under spider plant
I found a pile of these small white bugs in the saucer...
Caitlin Maraist
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™