Those Strange Radishes

jollyrd(Richmond VA)October 30, 2012

I love radishes, so I plant the seeds in the garden every spring, along with arugula and various lettuce mixes. I did the same this 2012 spring, and had a small crop to eat. I was given few tomato plants, and I planted spring squash. But then I stopped gardening at all, for a lack of time to attend it. In August, everything that was left (mostly dead) in the garden beds was pulled out and composted or burned.

End October is here, and I went to the garden to check on the raspberry bushes that are still producing delicious berries, and me and my son love to eat them straight from the bush. Next thing I noticed was a patch of very green and healthy leaves that looked like overgrown arugula. When I came closer - oh my! that was a patch of radishes that germinated and grew from what did not germinate in the spring. The sad part is that they were too large - past prime time for taste. Like I said, I had NO time at all to tend the garden.

Just wanted to share this. I guess I should be happy to find out that the seeds were viable, and germinated good crop even though I did not provide them any care (water, fertilizing, weeding).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

Radishes will quickly go to seed in the spring and then these will resow a nice summer or fall crop. It's good to see that nice green matter late in the season.

I have several daikon radish cover crop areas. These will winter kill and leave a nice leaf blanket plus making organic matter, root fiberizing the soil deeply, and carrying nitrogen to the spring crop.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 2:09PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I hope you didn't throw them away. If the radishes are large but not woody you can use them as a cooked vegetable. Lots of recipes if you Google.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 2:38PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Radish leaves are a very good soup ingredient.

Jim

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow in organic vegetables in coco coir ans spray...
little sur farm
Hydrophobic soil and corn watering
Hello folks, For the past 2 seasons, I've been having...
rkslander
Pea eggplants or kittily
Has anyone ever grown pea eggplants or kittily? Or...
changingitup
Has anyone tried to find their old comments?
I just went looking and it appears that GW/Houzz has...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
ridding tomato cages of septoria leaf spot
It is my understanding that septoria lasts on tomato...
elisa_z5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™