Trying to ID this plant - is it a Chinese evergreen?

summersunlight(5b)August 21, 2011

I didn't take this photo, but I found a photo that looks just like the plant I just bought:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jayjayc/309328840/in/faves-hankeat01/

Unfortunately there is no clear consensus on what it is at that link either!

Does anyone know if this is some sort of purple stemmed Chinese evergreen or is it something totally different as some of the comments on there indicate?

The one I bought was labelled a Chinese evergreen, but I know those aren't always true. Has anyone encountered a Chinese evergreen cultivar with purple/maroon stalks like this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
    Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 10:36AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

I doubt this is Aglaonema (Chinese Evergreen); just doesn't looks like it, nor have I ever seen a purple one.

I would have guess an exotic Philodendron, but I believe these folks suggesting Hemalomena maybe on to something.

Could you perhaps post a pix of the plant YOU got?

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 1:50PM
birdsnblooms

Summer, I second posting a pic of your plant. The plant in the picture is amazing, but it looks like a print or doctored. Something isn't right about that photo.

Is your plant identical to the one in the picture?? Color, shape, etc.

It looks like a combo of Philodendron, Dieffenbachia or Aglaonema. Toni

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 2:54PM
summersunlight(5b)

I don't have a camera but I may try to find a way to get a pic if that will make a difference.
There are several other photos of the same plant on this website if you think that will help:
Look at Plant Number 3 near the bottom

I found this plant at Home Depot, so I would not expect this to be a rare plant, yet so far that one website is the only place I have found that seems to be talking about the plant. Perhaps this is a plant that is just starting to be introduced to the houseplant market?

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 11:29PM
birdsnblooms

Summer, on occassion, HD has rare plants...Not often, but once in a while.

The pictures posted from your link are Aglaonemas/Chinese Evergreens. If your plant resembles the photo, then most likely you have a CE.

Do you have the pot your plant came in? If so, Google the long code number. The item name should pop up. Toni

Bookmark   August 23, 2011 at 5:10PM
summersunlight(5b)

Thanks for hte input. I found a website listing commercially produced cultivars of Aglaonema and didn't see one that looked like this, so that was what I found puzzling. It's like nobody has ever heard or seen this plant before except that one other person who posted the photos.
When I look at the leaves on this one and compare them to the Emerald Beauty Aglaonema I have, they do have a very similar shape, although the NOID plant's leaves are bigger and have thicker substance to them.
The main reason I want to know what it is, is just so I can know for sure how to care for it. :)

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Moisture Meter?
I have a mechanical moisture meter, and it has increasingly...
trclac
Christmas cactus help needed please!!
I inherited this plant from my uncle, he had it forever....
Stef Cunningham
March flowers 2015
Old thanksgiving cactus blooming later than normal. Hoya...
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™