New Spider needed a trimming

Aaron_and_Lais(8)August 27, 2013

Lais went to HEB last night and ended up getting a coupon for $5.00 off any live plant. What a score because I ended up with it. Today while I was there I saw this spider plant (no before pictures taken) but it had 4 plants in 1 pot.

The plant had wrappers in it, dead leaves, roots are all exposed because it barely has any soil...it was a mess..it was also on sale for about 10.00. The little bit of soil that is in there was absolutely soaked and they had it in direct sun.

This is the after picture (post haircut). I still need to put it in a new pot with nice fresh soil but hopefully its on the way to recovery and becoming a healthy plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aaron_and_Lais(8)

This is the pile of mess I cleaned out..

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 9:18PM
pumpkineater2

Aren't spider plants just exiting?

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 11:04PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Nice looking plant. There might be a viable baby in the middle of that pic.

That looks like the kind of hanging pot with a recessed drain hole about 1/2 inch above the bottom surface of the pot. That allows 1/2 inch of water to stand in the bottom of the pot. Just once can cause a problem, but if that happens repeatedly, the foliage will be quite visibly affected by the rotting roots. The only way to kill a spider plant, AFAIK, is to water it too much, or never water it all (in which case it may be able to finally be pronounced dead in about a year.)

Whenever you repot, you'll find a bunch of giant white 'carrots' in the pot, these things make HUGE roots. When they run out of room to grow, the foliage will suffer. They are sensitive to tap water chemicals, If you have an alternative, this plant would appreciate it.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 10:12AM
More Discussions
Need Help with the Id of This plant
I need to know the name of this plant and if its a...
lulu627
Advice needed - Frostbitten Schefflera
Hi all. Seven days ago, I moved house and took a couple...
massakyr - Zone 2b
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
umbrella plant care
I recently bought an indoor umbrella plant just like...
desdurso
Do you like Cineraria with larger flowers?
I love spring Cineraria. I love this too -
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™