Eggplant in Zone 9

jll0306(9/ Sunset 18/High Desert)October 4, 2008

I have a couple of Rosa Bianca eggplants in containers. The one in the 5 gallon bucket has an abundant amount of blooms on it. If anyone else has grown this in Zone 9, how long did yours continue to bear fruit before shutting down for the winter?

Does anyone treat their eggplants as perennial? Did you have to baby them or protect them through the winter?

Thanks,

j.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

They will produce as long as the soil temps remain 75 degrees or above. EP is a hot weather plant so once the air temps cool enough to drop the root zone soil temp below 70-75 the plant shuts down.

Dave

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 2:14PM
cabrita(9b SoCal)

I have treated them as perennials (biennials so far but we are going to go for a third year). They do nothing (go dormant) and take space, but we saw no reason to take them out (in zone 10). In late spring they started producing again. Some of them do not make it but most do. When they produce the last fruit in the fall we prune them and try not to look at them too much, since they do look raggedy. I will try to keep them dormant in the garden in zone 9, first year for the eggplants there. I also have a few rosa biancas, a long skinny white and a medium italian purple.

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 11:12PM
jll0306(9/ Sunset 18/High Desert)

Thanks, you two. I figured if anyone was doing the perennial thing, it would be you, Cabrita!
And if anyone would have the technical information, it would be you, Digdirt!

So, I'm thinking with chilly nights arriving now, it may be time to slip my container plants into black outer pots and eee if I can keep the harvest going.

They seem to like pruning, Cabrita, if the eggplant in the larger (5 gallon)container is any example. It was down to a skeleton after something ate the leaves in mid August. They have all come back, now, and I counted 14 blooms on it yesterday.

j.

Bookmark   October 6, 2008 at 5:25PM
More Discussions
Why is Zucchini Stem Splitting?
This is my first year growing zucchini. It's in a container...
Cliff Pruitt
Will I be too late to start a vegetable garden for the summer?
Hello! My husband and I will be moving from Florida...
merritt623
tomatoes
What's your favorite?
sweetgardenangel
Long post but help please?
Okay, So. This year I started all my vegetables from...
jenandwya
Skirret and Sea Kale
Can someone tell me where I might buy Skirret and Sea...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Sponsored Products
Kraus KHF203-33-KPF2220-KSD30 Double Basin Farmhouse Kitchen Sink with Faucet -
$639.95 | Hayneedle
Nourison Home and Garden Floral Green Indoor/Outdoor Rug (7'9" x 10'10")
Overstock.com
Roderick Bath Bar
Lightology
Black Quartz Composite 40/60 Double Bowl Undermount Kitchen Sink - 33 x 20-13/16
eModern Decor
Area Rug: Garden Path Beige/Blue 7' 9" x 9' 9"
Home Depot
Nanti One-Light Iron Oxide Mini Pendant
$149.90 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™