Will broccoli survive a frost?

leira(6 MA)October 14, 2009

Hi folks,

I'm growing broccoli for the first time, and it looks like we might have the first frost of the season tonight.

I'm vaguely under the impression that broccoli can survive a light frost, but I don't know that for sure. Can any of you enlighten me?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

Broccoli is good down to about an extended 22 degrees.

Bookmark   October 14, 2009 at 1:15PM
gardenlen(s/e qld aust)

g'day leira,

we've grown it in frosts some periods it was daily and heavy, it seeme to thrive more so than growing without frost, or at the least we got our best of crops from a period of frost. these were ambient temp's of 4c down to -4c. we do keep our plants heavily mulched that would keep the roots warmer.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

Bookmark   October 14, 2009 at 2:27PM
marlingardener

Some folks say broccoli actually tastes better if it has been through a frost or two. It will survive--no need to cover it unless you're going to have a hard freeze (but by that time you'll be tired of broccoli and welcome Old Man Winter).

Bookmark   October 14, 2009 at 3:00PM
leira(6 MA)

Thanks, folks!

I harvested the remainder of everything yesterday evening, covered the tomatillo, since it still has some maturing fruits, and left the broccoli.

I haven't made it out to the garden yet, but given the looks of things from the window, I think we did have a frost last night. The zucchini leaves are wilted, but the broccoli looks fine. If this baby decides to take a nap, I'll head out and uncover the tomatillo, and see if it survived.

Last Spring at Home Depot, I bought a 6-pack of broccoli on a whim, and it just keeps producing and producing and producing. I have to say...it's the best $1.88 I ever spent!

Bookmark   October 15, 2009 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
lining bottom of raised bed for tomatoes
I keep reading advise about lining the bottom of raised...
sommardahl
Too many seeds, not enough light
Right now, have basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary,...
ilovecucumbers
I really messed up, who can help? Tomato expert needed...
I planted beefsteak and July 4th tomatoes and didn't...
dwyerkg
Needing help re: Adding Calcium in the form of Gypsum to my Soil
Hi All, Tis my first posting here. My peppers are beginning...
felin
Sweet potato slips have white crystals on lower leaves...is that bad?
I bought multiple sweet potatoes from the store to...
armbarangel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™