Help me save my ivy

justtadSeptember 11, 2011

Greetings all - I'm coming to you for help with a small/medium sized ivy houseplant. I'm afraid I don't have any more specific info on it's variety.

Until recently this ivy was beautiful and vigorously growing, but a few weeks ago we went out of town for about 10 days and came back to find it pretty severely dried out. The majority of the foliage is looking pretty done for, and now the few healthy areas are starting to turn pale and lose their green.

So... is there anything I can do to save it? Obviously we've given it water... should we cut it back? (how much?) Fertilize? other?

Thanks for any tips.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Is it a type of English Ivy or are you using the term 'ivy' in the generic sense to describe a vine of some sort?

It makes a difference regarding the remedies.

Bookmark   September 11, 2011 at 12:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I agree and was waiting to hear what kind you have. If you are not sure, feel free to share a picture and you can get an ID and specific care instructions.

If it is a Hedera helix, it should recover just fine although it's tough to wait through the "ugly" time when the dried leaves are falling off, waiting for new leaves to grow.

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
String of Pearls
Here is a photo of what used to be a very healthy 'String...
bobv2
Advice for my almost dead aglaonema
Please help me nurse this plant back. It was given...
Kelby Miller
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Planting Zones
I need to know the Zone for Toronto, Ontario, Canada....
bobv2
Febuary Flowers
This is my month!! I finally have a decent amount of...
teengardener1888
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™