Repotting spider plant

DevaFreya(8b)September 22, 2013

I recently bought a few discount (read: dying) spider plants, including one that I bought today.

I'm wondering where the "soil" level should be in relation to the leaves and root system. How it came from the store, the soil level is up past the joint where the roots meet the leaves, such that the leaves are very much touching the soil. One of my past discount spider plants died of rot within a week after purchasing, seemingly because of the leaves were touching the not-well-drained soil.

Is that ideal? My gut says that the soil level should be at or below where the leaves meet the roots. Is that the case?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The potting mix should cover the roots, leaving the stems (and much of the crown) exposed. Your instincts are exactly right.

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 4:31AM
dsws

I recently re-potted my spider plants. Well, I split one of my spider plants into four. Here's a thread where I posted pictures of one of them.
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/houseplt/msg0910550617315.html?6

The second post has a picture showing a new shoot coming up next to a re-potted spider plant. Off to the right is one of the leaves coming up from under the peat-pudding potting medium. The lowest leaves are that deep under the soil, but the plant is producing vigorous new growth, both the new shoot and up at the top. There is one dead leaf in the foreground, but I think it was damaged as I hacked the plant apart.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 9:40AM
DevaFreya(8b)

Thanks! They definitely have it sitting deeper in the pot than that. No wonder the last one rotted and died on me so quickly.
I'll repot it a bit shallower, and hope it makes it! It actually doesn't look too bad, so I think it has a chance.

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
What to do with Alocasia tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
help my Imperial Green Philodendron
Hello dears , I've a very beautiful and large Philodendron...
sara03
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
Has anyone grown a coffee tree?
Hi Im curious has anyone tried growing a coffee tree?...
cynandjon
Plant identification & care
Are the plants in the photo a variety of Dracaena?...
bobv2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™