bottom leaves of collards turning yellow

ka0ttic(CFL 9b)October 29, 2013

I planted some collard seedlings in containers late September and they were doing pretty good for the most part but I've noticed the last week or two the older bottom leaves keep turning yellow/brown and dying. I've been fertilizing them with a diluted 5-1-1 fish emulsion (1Tbsp/gal) about every two weeks.

After searching through the forums for a bit, I found one post saying yellowing bottom leaves means N deficiency and another post saying too much N so I'm a bit confused there.

There are two pictures below. First one taken 10/13 and looks pretty good. I've since removed the mulch after finding what looked like termites under the mulch of my loan tomato plant. The second one was taken today (10/29) and you can see the yellowing bottom leaves. Maybe because I removed the mulch they're not consistently staying wet?

10/13

10/29

Thanks for any help!
Aaron

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

In part it is normal for the older bottom leaves to die and fall off. But is usually with much older plants than these appear to be.

Over-watering/overly wet soil is the most common cause of yellowing such as in your picture.

Excess N may cause a similar condition when very high N fertilizers are used but your fertilizer is not high N. Plus with excess N the younger leaves would be very dark green - yours are not - and here would be green veins in the yellow leaves - yours are not.

Too little N would show up most in the new leaves as yellowing.

So consider it a possible over-water issue. Excess rain? How often are you watering?

Dave

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 4:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ka0ttic(CFL 9b)

They were staying kind of wet with the mulch on there and that's another reason I took the mulch off. I was worried about them staying too wet and not getting enough oxygen.

When the mulch was still there, I was watering maybe 2x a week. I took the mulch off about 2 weeks ago and the combination of that and us finally getting cooler/drier air here in central FL, I've been watering probably every other day when needed (if i stuck my finger in and felt dry).

Very possible they were staying too wet with the mulch but I've been careful not to overwater them since taking the mulch off.

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
New names?
I was able to keep my name Nancyjane_gardener, but...
nancyjane_gardener
Giant Noble Spinach
I started this variety in my grow closet (which is...
thedudefrom1976
Using landscape fabric instead of hilling potatoes?
I've got a large veggie garden that gets out of control...
fireweed22
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
Melon transplants or direct seed?
I've read and heard conflicting info on this... what...
formerly_creativeguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™