too many cuttings solution/solicitation

gravyboots(7B)September 27, 2011

Hello All,

I am sure there are many Houseplant People out there like me who prune their plants, then can't bear to toss out those "perfectly good Future Plants," with the result of a number of young plants that need to be re-homed. My friends are sick of it & never bring up the topic of houseplants for fear I will aggressively push some on them.

This information may interest them marginally more:

Kamal Meattle lecturing at TED (link is below) and

NASA's list of air-filtering plants (type that in at Wikipedia for the list) that remove Volatile Organic Compounds, such as benzene, toluene, xylene & formaldehyde from homes...

... but my name is still "Mud" & I still have a bunch of cuttings that my friends & family mostly don't want.

HOWEVER - there is an environmental club at my college that likes to give plants away! This year they gave out garden starts during campus events, so I thought the above info + my abundance of cuttings & starts might be of interest to them, especially when I offered to grow the plants in the school greenhouse for them to give away.

Your local Community College may also have such a club that would enjoy giving out spider plant babies that will remove formaldehyde, toluene & xylene from the air; it's probably listed on their website, with contact info! Maybe you know a highschool senior that is looking for a senior project, or even a scout?

In the event that you don't want to go to the trouble (here comes the solicitation!), I will gladly accept starts & cuttings (even seeds) from anyone who wants to contact me via GardenWeb e-mail. You might even get a nice Thank You card from the Everett CC Students for Environmental Action and/or your name on a donor list at the SEA booth - I will certainly encourage such follow-up, although I am not an official member of the club.

I will be contributing (this year - hopefully this can be repeated!) a whole bunch of Chlorophytum babies and starts/cuttings from F. elastica, D. marginata, E. aureum, H. helix, all of which are on the SuperPlant list, as well as some Monstera & Philo starts.

Anyway, contact your local highschool, scout or college if you like this idea, or even contact me. Thanks.

Erynn Sullivan

aka Gladys Gravyboots

Here is a link that might be useful: TED talk: Grow Your Own Fresh Air

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronalawn82(z9FL)

gravyboots, "How to Grow Fresh Air" by Dr. B C Wolverton is a splendid book on the remediation of indoor air pollution caused by VOC's. He used a number of familiar indoor plants and rates their efficacy.
Mr. Meattle's presentation explores a small part of the whole.

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 2:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gravyboots(7B)

Much of what I've read has referenced Wolverton; it makes sense to go right to the source! This also got me thinking about personal phytoremediation outdoors too i.e. landscaping & planters with plants that would help compensate for one's "footprint" - lots to think about!

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 4:09PM
More Discussions
My Calathea is blooming - hehe
Flowers look pretty good!
jujujojo_gw
New ZZ Plant - Questions and Concerns
Picked up this ZZ Plant at the Philadelphia Flower...
ehuns27 7a PA
Many websites have indoor Azalea care information wrong
From my personal experience, Azalea can adjust to heat...
jujujojo_gw
Adenium seedlings
HI all, I haven't posted here in a couple years now......
ttkidd
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™