need recs for best hanging houseplant base/water catcher

philosopher(Zone 5a WI)September 7, 2011

hi all--

for my hanging plants, i need a source for a sturdy water catching dish to go under the pot. (i am having a brain spasm, b/c i can't remember what those things are called.) ideally, the dish needs to be rigid (so that it doesn't buckle under the weight of the pot) and deep (so it can hold more water).

for those of you who may comment about having my plants in standing water: i typically drain off the excess water later in the day. i need the water dish because some of my plants immediately drain most of the water out and then re-absorb it over the next several hours.

thanks in advance for any vendor recommendations!

kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

i need the water dish because some of my plants immediately drain most of the water out and then re-absorb it over the next several hours. You may want to investigate to see if these plants need repotted (and a root trim.) The other issue that concerns me is if these pots have mostly peat in them. If so, when you do repot, try to find a soil without peat. It holds too much moisture until it is suddenly so bone dry that it takes forever for it to rehydrate.

Regarding the saucer, I'm having a hard time picturing how you would add one to a hanging basket that doesn't come with one attached? Macrame holders? I also wasn't sure if you are interested in shelling out some cash or wanted a more frugal "what I have around the house" approach...?

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 10:44AM
brodyjames_gw

I think the words you're looking for are drip tray or drip pan. A simple google search under the phrase "hanging basket drip tray" turned up the following site, which is just one of many....

Hope this helps.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Hanging Basket Drip Tray

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 1:42PM
philosopher(Zone 5a WI)

thank you, brodyjames! i will check that site out.

purpleinopp: at least one of the plants (a huge iron cross begonia) could use a root trim, but the other ones simply have a very light soil that doesn't initially absorb water.

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 2:32PM
gravyboots(7B)

Philosopher, I bet your Begonia is something!

If looks aren't at issue (cache pot will be hidden, perhaps inside a basket or larger pot) how about plastic food tubs? You know, yogurt, salsa or whip containers?

Or cruise the tableware aisle of your local thrift store for soup plates or cereal bowls? Plastic cereal bowls?

Good Luck!
GB

PS - at the risk of sounding preachy, if your potting mix is light because it is composed of perlite & peat, stab a skewer in the middle of the root ball after watering to see if the center is absorbing water. In my experience it can be surprisingly dry in there.

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 2:52PM
More Discussions
It hursts so that my Pachira Aquatica "money tree" plant is hurting so
Hi all, love this site and I finally joined! I've read...
mobbsuit_beasley
Moisture Meter?
I have a mechanical moisture meter, and it has increasingly...
trclac
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™