Don't forget foliage plants forum

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, ALSeptember 26, 2011

I know many people who visit this forum would also enjoy some of the discussions on the foliage plants forum. It seems like that forum used to be much more busy a few years ago, especially like 01-04, busier than this one. Is it just me having a falsory (fake memory?) Sometimes I have trouble in my mind deciding which forum to post a particular question on, foliage vs. this forum...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dellis326 (Danny)

I tend to think of the Foliage Plants forum as a forum for non-specific outdoors gardening and this one for non-specific indoors gardening. I know that isn't actually accurate but it seem easier to me to define it that way.

Maybe I should check it out more often.

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 11:09AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I do, too, but when it comes to stuff like coleus and others, the lines blur for me sometimes. It's probably just me confusing myself. But really, take impatiens. It's an annual up north, a perennial here, known to need shade, fairly common as a houseplant all over, and probably originates from the tropics. It depends on what you want to ask/say about it to decide between annuals, gardening in shade, house plants, perennials, or tropical plants forums. But, if it's the leaves that you just love, maybe the foliage forum... Fun!!!

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 11:25AM

Hey, it's good to say wax begonias when you're talking about them because if you call them impatiens, it's not as good. But I'm sure impatiens are perennials somewhere, pretty sure they aren't here.

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 11:28AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Well that next to last comment confuses me completely, 'cause I've only ever seen Impatiens growing as outdoors plants whereas I've seen Begonias as either one.

Gee I'm here in GW 10 yrs & never even knew there was a foliage forum.

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 3:04PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I've visited there in the past, but it seems so redundant. I fear that people who post there are not likely to get their questions answered unlike if they visit the Annual, Perennial, or Houseplant Forums.

The Houseplant Forum has always been pretty busy, and I've been on the GardenWeb since there was a handful of forums, long before IVillage took over. People even used their REAL names back then, lol!

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 11:04PM

Ok I must be having a fake memory. After a decade, I'll not be too hard on myself.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 9:22AM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

"I'm sure impatiens are perennials somewhere"

Yep, I used to overwinter some of my impatiens hanging baskets inside. Some made it 3-4-5 years. Bad case of scale one year ended that tradition.

tj

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 7:50PM
marquest(z5 PA)

I visit there sometime but it is slow. I usually go there for some of the old post to read some of the suggestion that the old gang posted, GW was the place to be back in the old days. LOL

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 9:26AM
birdsnblooms

Purple, funny. The first time I saw your name was on the Foliage Forum. I posted, but it wasn't answered for days, weeks, months? LOL.
Someone asked about a D. Corn Plant..Do you recall? Toni

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
Christmas cactus help needed please!!
I inherited this plant from my uncle, he had it forever....
Stef Cunningham
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
Brown Leaf Spots on Dracaena
Hi all, I have a dracaena fragrans that I bought at...
breadherring
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
What to do with Alocasia tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™