makine resin figurines stronger?

mla2ofusApril 4, 2014

I have a few gnomes, fairies, etc. made out of resin and I would like to drill a hole in the bottom and pour some kind of filler inside to make them stronger. The resin on some of the newer ones are so thin that I've had them tip over and break. I've been trying to think of something that would not shatter or soak up moisture like plaster of paris, and expanding foam could expand too much. I've thought of Elmer outdoor wood glue but I'm not sure. Have any of you thought of this or tried it? I'm open to any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marlene Kindred

Well, I can't speak to drilling holes in them, but something I have done on a couple of mine was to glue a clear plate or even a block of wood to the bottom and then cover it with mulch up to the figure. Keeps them in place and you don't see the block. I usually use either liquid nails or GE Silicone II and so far it's worked fine.

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 9:59AM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

You know I have wondered about this too. I've thought of putting some mortar mix inside then shaking with the right amount of water. But it seems like you would need to make another hole for air/drying once you plugged the one in the bottom and stood it up so the weight of the mortar would be at the bottom. I'd like to know if you figure anything out. I like Marlene's idea also.
Kathy

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 8:19PM
arcy_gw

I sink rebar into the ground and set my things on top of it so it cannot blow over or be knocked over by the critters. I wonder about that Hypertufa...

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 6:07AM
More Discussions
GJ Inspiration Albums on Photobucket
I've not been here in a long time, but thought I'd...
Purplemoon
Dehydrator trays
Does anyone have ideas for recycling food dehydrator...
hokypuk
Need to repurpose a leaking birdbath
Yesterday was one of the nicest days in ages; I could...
patty2430
New here...sorta
Hey y'all! I was here ages ago. Well, mostly on the...
valkyrja01
My Summer Project - Potting Shed Makeover
We had a cute little shed used for storage of our mower,...
luvs2click
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™