Will a broken Schefflera sprout new growth?

jasdipSeptember 18, 2013

A couple of months ago, the breeze coming in thru the window knocked over my schefflera. The top broke off cleanly, and got thrown out. Had I known, I would have saved it, and potted it in hopes of sprouting new roots.

The rest of the plant is healthy but no new shoots starting at all, from the top. Will it grow again?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rooftopbklyn

In my experience, as long as its healthy, yes! It will not grow directly from the cut/broken top directly, but from the nodes (the junctions of existing leafs and branches and the trunk).

It kind of looks like you have new growth emerging from a few existing nodes, but its hard to tell from the picture.

Good luck,
-daniel

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 1:36PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Yes - it will back-bud. How vigorously it will back-bud is directly related to how much stored energy the plant has at the time of the injury (right now most houseplants should be just past peak energy retention [stored food]), the time of year, and how much light and air circulation the plant gets subsequent to the injury. It's not a big deal at all, so don't be too concerned - all will be well.

Al

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 9:42AM
jasdip

Thanks for your encouraging words!
Daniel, there is no new growth buds at all, you're probably talking about the little pointy pieces that are at each stem.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
Peace Lily
i want to try and grow peace lily plant from seed,...
lulu627
Advice for house plant --- very little sunshine, pics included
Would any of these plants work for a bedroom that gets...
bob131313
Do you like Cineraria with larger flowers?
I love spring Cineraria. I love this too -
jujujojo_gw
Parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans) seeds, male vs. female
Though they bloom like crazy, this is the first time...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
umbrella plant care
I recently bought an indoor umbrella plant just like...
desdurso
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™