Does house tree need repotting?

kdimercurio82September 28, 2013

I have had my dracaena tree for about a year. It has done well and has grown a lot. The back right trunk seems to lean more and more over time and it seems a little wobbly. The largest trunk, on the other hand, seems very sturdy. I am wondering if the pot I have it in is becoming too small. I don't want to disrupt a healthy plant but I also don't want the plant to become to large for this pot. Just wondering if this pot looks too small?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kdimercurio82

Here is what it looks like from a distance.

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 12:06PM
jacqueinthegorge(USDA 8 / Sunset 5)

You have a healthy plant, so whatever you're doing, keep it up. That said, I think moving it up to a larger pot would improve its visual - and actual - balance and give it some refreshed growing medium. In my experience, potbound plants positively like to be repotted!
If you decide to repot, the new pot could be anywhere from 2 to 6 inches larger in diameter than the current pot.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 11:41AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

There is a significant difference between only potting up and repotting. Continually potting up ensures your plant will be continually/permanently limited by root congestion in the original root mass. Repotting, properly done, with its accompanying root pruning and elimination of old soil/refreshing with new, relieves congestion/compaction in the original or existing root mass and allows the plant to grow without the limitations imposed by potting up.

That said, "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven ..." ~ Ecclesiastes 3:1 While you can usually pot up with impunity at any point during the growth cycle, repotting is best planned for and undertaken at a more specific part of the growth cycle; for house plants, usually between Father's Day and Independence Day. Ask if you want more info.

Al

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
Planting Zones
I need to know the Zone for Toronto, Ontario, Canada....
bobv2
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
Droopy Pachira aquatica in 3:1:1
Hi, Last year I planted our 7 year old pachira aquatica...
true_blue
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
Ming aralia
I've had a Ming Aralia in my cubicle for almost 6 months...
yuliju
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™