brown, dying leaves on Wandering Jew

Lamora(4)September 11, 2012

Hi Everyone! I hope your week is going good so far.

I was just looking at my plants, watering what needed to be and whatnot, and when I came to my Wandering Jew, a lot of leaves were browning, or already dead. I have some with browning tips too. Some of the leaves are 'soft' for lack of a better word, but only on 2 vines. I looked for a break in the stem on them and wasn't able to find any. The rest seem to be fine.

I haven't re-soiled her much. The pot I put her in was the same size and I just put in as much of the old soil in as possible. (was afraid of breaking her apart). New soil on the bottom of pot and a little on top. The soil is moist, not soggy. I don't think I am over watering or feeding, least I don't think I am. Fed 1/2 strengh only once, watered 2x now. I wait till she is almost all dry before watering.

She has been in the house for the past few days. The way my plants are hung in here, it is hard for me to get them down w/o help and DH is out of town till tomorrow. So she hasn't seen sunlight for a few days. Would that be the cause of this? Not enough light? (They are outside now, with the help of my brother. But it is coudy, no sun.) I know it needs sunlight. But the lack of it, would it cause browning? Would moving her from outside to inside and back hurt her?

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? Like all my plants, I don't want to hurt her.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I value it all...

Marjie :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goddess9(7b)

Dead leaves happen with t. zebrina. Pinch it off and keep it moving. :)

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 12:31PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Yes, even on the healthiest plant, a leaf will die occasionally. More sun is good, tho. I don't think there's anything you can actually do to this plant to hurt it except rot the roots. In which case you could still probably continue the top growth because these plants have an interesting ability to make a "stopping point" on their stem. I don't know what the technical name is for this thing but I've seen it happen, the top part just falls off, looking for a more suitable place to start new roots. This also happens sometimes if the stem gets pinched against the edge of the pot. The weight of a stem can cause a break/stopping point at the rim of the pot. Just stick it back in.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 12:55PM
Lamora(4)

goddess and purple~ Thank you both. I feel better now. :) The purple was fading too, no light, but I just looked at it (outside) and for the few hours it has been there, she looks much better now. Still no sun. From the sounds of it, it's going to be like this all week.

Feel, smells and looks like Fall will be in full force real soon..

I am going to NOT PANIC (I hope) this Winter if a plant or 2 look sad, just as long as they are still here next Spring! lol

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 2:53PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

:+) Panic is perfectly appropriate on that which is called "panic night." Just try to keep it to a minimum of screaming, running in circles, and arm flailing. I'll be doing it too. No, denial of winter's eminence has NOTHING to do with this, nothing at all!

But about this particular plant, it's hardy here. Not at all as sensitive to cold as so many others.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
Can i repot a pothos by sticking it in a larger pot and adding soil?
I have some pothos that are in 4 inch pots. I need...
tlbean2004
White bugs in saucer under spider plant
I found a pile of these small white bugs in the saucer...
Caitlin Maraist
House Plants
Dracaenta Marginata
davers71
Fiddle Leaf Ficus brown edges, lighter color veins
I have the Fiddle Leaf Ficus for 2 years now. It was...
vlauz7b
Pine Bark Fines Ontario Canada
Okay...5-1-1 mix! I am having trouble. First off the...
RioSeven
Sponsored Products
Eminent Stripe Upholstery Fabric in Red Sea
$30.00 | FabricSeen
Graham Executive Desk - BROWN
$1,349.00 | Horchow
Global Views Thumbs Up Wall Art - 8.81254
$87.50 | Hayneedle
Homelegance Hampstead Court 2 Drawer TV Chest in Rich Cherry
Beyond Stores
Weston Colonial Iron 15.75-Inch Three Light Chandelier
$147.60 | Bellacor