Jade plant care

canterburynickSeptember 12, 2013

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice on Jade plant care/rescue!

1. I have two small cuttings that appear to be healthy both about 8" tall. They are both just a single stalk. Do I need to do anything to encourage them to branch out?
2. I was give a 18" tall plant that has by the look of it been severely neglected. Certainly no water or sunlight for at least 18 + months. Ends of branches wilted and not many leaves. I have given it a good watering and left to dry out now. Should I lightly prune the ends at all where they are wilted and any other information to try and recover this plant would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Hi Canter,

Can you post a picture?

18-months without water or sun..Poor plant!

Do you prefer bushy Jades to tree-like? If you decide to cut stems back, don't toss stems/leaves. Instead, insert them in soil. They'll root..
If you like a bushy Jades, adding the extra leaves in the soil with mom will make your Jade bushier. Otherwise, sow leaves in small, individual pots, until they're rooted.

BTW, because of the time of year, rooting and growth slows down. Don't be alarmed if your Jade/s are on stand-still. Toni

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 2:10PM
dannie317

As Toni says, you can just snip off some of the top. Typically, you'll get two branches from that, and probably end up with a smaller branch coming out on the trunk somewhere below!

I like when it branches lower down the trunk, so as she explained, I usually take off enough to make a cute smaller plant. I use a chopstick and prop the cutting in the soil.

In this pic, you can see the forked branches on the trunk to the left. That was the first cut (the top of which is now in another pot), and then the tiny offshoot came out below that on the right. The branching at the very top happened by itself. This guy is about 8 inches tall.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 5:00PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Hi Nick & welcome to Gardenweb! Feel free to add a pic if you're not totally sure what it is.

There are more discussions about jade plant than one person could read in a whole day on the cacti/succulent forum, if you'd like to click over there and check some of them out.

Cute plant, Danielle!

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
Adenium seedlings
HI all, I haven't posted here in a couple years now......
ttkidd
Many websites have indoor Azalea care information wrong
From my personal experience, Azalea can adjust to heat...
jujujojo_gw
Zebra cactus update - still not looking great?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™