Coca Cola Cooler Planter - What's your most unusual planter?

georgiahomegardenApril 19, 2012

I finally turned my coca cola cooler into a planter box for my jalapenos and habanero peppers. I am happy with the results.

Does anyone else have an unusual item they are using for a planter?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com/2012/04/coca-cola-cooler-pepper-planter-box.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cnm1(6 Oh)

Well - I have been debating turning an antique steam trunk into one. It was given to me by a friend who did not want it any more. It is in good shape but needs refinishing. The inside smells awful (horse glue). I just don't have the energy to try to get the old fabric out.
I think it would be a fun huge planter for at least a few years. I am hesitating because I feel as if I should find someone to finish it. It came from Europe with one of her husband's relatives but no one wants it.
One other plan I have is to turn a filing cabinet in to one. I got a free cabinet. Just need to decide on a color and where to put it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Filing cabinet planter

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 3:25PM
sunnyca_gw

Your steamer trunk might be worth a lot of money. Put a pic of it over on the "Antiques & Collectibles forum" before you do anything to it. They don't like them messed with if they are true antiques & yours sounds like it is! Jan

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 5:48PM
luvs2click

Great ideas! I plant in everything I find, so not sure - maybe these cowboys boots or dish drainer?

Here is a link that might be useful: more garden shots

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 7:45AM
Crafty Gardener(ON 5b)

Old boots, kettles, teapots, frypans, pueses, shopping bags, an old washing machine tub. ... If it can hold dirt, you can plant in it

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 3:55PM
nonacook(8bFL)

I have a cast iron tub, a metal container that was
a hog feeder (looks like an oval galvanized water tub) and a boat. They are planted.
I am in the process of planting some of the plastic tubs that have rope handles. I put my coleus in those. They looked good last year. $4-6 for those tubs-can't buy a large colorful planter for that!
I have a couple of terra cotta chimney liners that need to be planted.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 3:14AM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

This is such a fun thread. I don't have any thing to add, most of my flowers are in the ground except just a few on the steps. I'm just terrible at remembering to water the darn things. I love all these ideas tho.

The coca cola planter is fabulous! I'm going to keep my eye out for worn out cowboy boots,cuz I'm going to have to dig up a good patch of hens and chicks this year to make way for the garage construction.

BTW Georgia home, I have a friend who uses smelly soap in a mesh bag (such as Ir(shspr(ng, to keep the deer away. I think it helps but isn't totally effective. If they eat those peppers out of your planter, they will have a surprise!

Kathy

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 10:35AM
tasymo

This is my vintage washing machine planter. It gets planted differently every Spring!

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 6:09PM
georgiahomegarden

tasymo - That is really cool looking!

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 1:28PM
jeannespines

Your pepper planter is very cool! & I love the others on this link, too! Container gardening is just lots of fun, I think! TFS! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
Good garden markers needed soon
Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers?...
Corkelcol
Working with crushed gemstones
Maybe this is a question to a wrong forum, but I see...
briergardener_gw
Christmas Bottle Tree
I finally got around to making a Christmas bottle tree...
lindasewandsew
Hanging Garden Globes
Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever:...
janetgia
bowling ball revisited
Just finished a couple of bowling balls for the garden;...
indigosunshine
Sponsored Products
Floating Flower Vase
$24.99 | Dot & Bo
Tudor Urn Antique Pewter Holdback ,Set of 2
$23.95 | Bellacor
Moooi | Delft Blue No. 8
$759.00 | YLighting
AFD Home Neoclassical Pedestal Planter
Beyond Stores
Iron Scroll Planter
$300.00 | Horchow