Totems ready for glue

marquest(z5 PA)April 14, 2012

OK as promised. I am posting my first totems. They are not glued yet and I am not married to the design so if there are any suggestions I am open.

For those of you that have not followed me. This is what has been going on.....

I retired and finally I could join all the fun you all have been having. I did some idea borrowing from here and around the net. Went in search of glass. Boy that has been fun.

Then I tried to put all the glass together and found it is harder than I thought. I went out in search of more glass and some plates to make them fit. More fun.

Finally I decided I need more room and to get a good sense of what they would look in the sun light I decided to lay them out on the lawn. I though finally this is going to be good. WRONG. It started to rain and has been raining since. Today I had 3 hours 7 am until about 10 it is raining again.

So I have these laid out as my beginning.

All clear Crystal. It is very sparkly It does not show how blingy it is laying down.

Mini Frog glass. I have lots of frogs I am doing a frog garden.

Blue and green stack- The bird has a green accents again cannot see it very good. But the bird is a good match.

My White and blue oriental theme.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azcactusflower

It looks like you are going to have some gorgeous totems when you get them glued together. Super for your first totems! The combination of glass and colors is perfect. I like them just the way you have them set. Please post pics when you get them glued. We'd love to see them. Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 11:08PM
pixie_lou

I love the frog and the mushroom!

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 11:34AM
Marlene Kindred

They are looking great! Don't forget to put something wider on the bottom or they will fall over...unless you're putting them on a pipe or rebar. I usually glue a bowl or plate on the bottom.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 1:12PM
mommyandme2

I agree with Marlene. You REALLY need something large & flat on the bottom. A microwave platter is ideal. They are clear & plain & will blend in with the garden. They are frequently available at tag sales & thrift shops - Laura

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 1:17PM
marquest(z5 PA)

Microwave platters are easy. Every time I brought a new Microwave I could never bring myself to throw them away so I have a lot of those. Thanks for the tip.

Now I have to find that box with all those big heavy old plates. LOL

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 5:59PM
cnm1(6 Oh)

You have some great glass and have come up with some lovely totems. I love the the tops you have found for them. I can't wait to see the final product!!
PS I can't bring myself to throw out microwave platters either!! Also great for cakes!)

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 7:23PM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

they will be beautiful! Great choices and combinations!
Kathy

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 6:51AM
marquest(z5 PA)

Thank you all for the encouragement.

cnm1, that is funny. I am happy I am not the only one with a collection of microwave plates. I could not see throwing a good heavy piece of glass away. I kept thinking they had to have a use for something.

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 11:32AM
GlassLady77

I am still trying to find the right glue, have been collecting stuff, can't wait to start a totem. Also am making a bottle tree. Any help is appriciated.
Nancy

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 9:41PM
jeannespines

Love that frog & that green glass that looks like an 'Umbrella plant' or a Mushroom! That will be quite original! Looks like you're having fun here... a 'glass' class act! TFS! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 7:04PM
nico_girl3(9a)

You have some beautiful glass. I love the frog. Where did you find all the cool glass?

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 2:33PM
marquest(z5 PA)

Nico-girl I picked up the glass in the last month at Goodwill and St Vincent DePaul. They give coupons and senior discount the more often you go the more coupons I got so all the glass was cheap. I got all this glass for less than 20.00. It is harder to put together than finding the glass.

It was so much fun. Whenever I saw a color piece of glass it was like Christmas morning. lol

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 3:34PM
More Discussions
bowling ball revisited
Just finished a couple of bowling balls for the garden;...
indigosunshine
Christmas Bottle Tree
I finally got around to making a Christmas bottle tree...
lindasewandsew
A Birdhouse Trellis
Here is a birdhouse trellis I made this summer from...
kirkus
Good garden markers needed soon
Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers?...
Corkelcol
Hanging Garden Globes
Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever:...
janetgia
Sponsored Products
Koko Company TOTEM 18 x 18 in. Pillow - 92005
$106.00 | Hayneedle
Puzzlehead by Areaware
$40.00 | Lumens
Foscarini | Diesel Collection Stud Grande Table Lamp
$700.00 | YLighting
Pipe Table Lamp by Diesel by Foscarini
$1,358.00 | Lumens
Sierra Prairie Mission 2-light Lighted Base Table Lamp
Overstock.com
North Pole Totem Pole - Outdoor Christmas Decorations
$699.00 | FRONTGATE
Foscarini | Diesel Collection Stud Piccola Table Lamp
$536.00 | YLighting
Fangio Lighting's 30-inch Mercury Glass and Metal Table Lamp with Polished Nicke
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™