What is eating my pea plants?

ychaysOctober 24, 2008

A couple of my sugar pea and snow pea plants were ravaged overnight. Something ate the leaves right off of them, as well as nibbled on the leaves of my lettuce, broccoli, and choi. Any ideas what could be causing this? My garden center said mice, because my raised vegetable bed backs up to ivy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

It could be any number of pests and without seeing the type of damage it is impossible to say for sure. Mice is surely a possibility but so are rabbits, groundhogs, slugs, and even caterpillars or worms such as armyworms or loopers. Even deer if they have access to your area.

A photo might help narrow down the possibilities.

Dave

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 10:33PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Snails?

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 10:40PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Having lived & gardened in SoCal, my two best guesses would be snails & cutworms. Snails would leave a trail, and you would find them hiding under cover during the day, such as nearby landscape timbers or garden debris. Cutworms hide by day in the soil at the base of the plants... if you gig in the loose soil surrounding the stem, you will find them.

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 6:59PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Fast fingers got the best of me. I meant to say: "...if you dig..." :-0

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 7:02PM
kingfarm(z10 Long Beach)

Could be rats or worms. What about pill bugs? Do you have a lot around?

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 9:27AM
ychays

I tried uploading some photos but couldn't get it to work. Anyone knows how? I looked under the leaves and didn't see anything. I also don't see snail trails plus I put down some snail bait a couple of weeks ago. That could use some refreshing I'm sure but I think I still would see some trails, no? Since I couldn't find pests on the leaves, I got a general pesticide (sorry!). The next day, I saw that whatever this thing is again attacked my plants. This time, they didn't devour the leaves but left lots and lots of little holes. Looks like someone took an insect-sized shotgun to my broccoli leaf.

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 12:51AM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

That sounds like flea beetles.

Bookmark   October 29, 2008 at 1:42AM
More Discussions
Growing malabar spinach
I want to grow malabar spinach, but I do not have a...
robert2014 zone 5b
Building a database - help!
I'm an old geezer trying to learn Libreoffice Base...
vanisle_bc
Experiment Results: Growing vegetables in different soil-less mixes
If someone are interested to follow an experiment to...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Annual Fall Horseradish Project
Here is a photo journal of my annual fall horseradish...
soilent_green
What's up with these basil plants?
I planted these into my garden bed a week ago. I’ve...
Kim Kimura
Sponsored Products
Jaipur Fables Halcyon Modern Abstract Pattern Viscose/Chenille Rug - RRC022214-0
$43.00 | Hayneedle
Jaipur Coastal Living Hand-Tufted Starfishing Transitional Coastal Pattern Wool/
$99.00 | Hayneedle
Jaipur Mythos Anthea Traditional Oriental Pattern Wool Tufted Rug - RRC001019-03
$66.00 | Hayneedle
Jaipur Fables Whimsical Transitional Abstract Pattern Viscose/Chenille Rug - RRC
$43.00 | Hayneedle
Garden Phalaenopsis II Wall Art
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
Jaipur Brio Mod World Modern Geometric Pattern Polyester Tufted Rug - RRC001100-
$62.00 | Hayneedle
Jaipur Maroc Rafi Flat Weave Geometric Pattern Wool Handmade Rug - RRC001010-016
$58.00 | Hayneedle
Shepherd's Hook
$39.50 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™