painting on cement

oldcrafty(8)April 4, 2012

I recently purchased a little fishing boy and a frog planter , both made of cement, at a GS, both are in need of a re-paint. I have tons of deco brand craft paint. Do you'll think that would work and do you think I should prep in some way? I know I will give them a good scrubbing to rub off the old loose paint, but do I need any type of sealer or surface prep before painting? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marlene Kindred

Depending on how bad they are, I have spray primed mine before painting them, but for the most part, I just use the Deco paints and then let it dry for a few days, then spray it with Polyurethane.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 4:02PM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

I've been saving/rescuing Garden Gnomes and have been using Patio Paints on them.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 1:12AM
jeannespines

I do the same as calamity & marlene...deco paints usually & then a spray of Poly. If I happen on good prices on the small bottles of 'patio paint,' then I use them up, too! I do the face rocks & 'shrooms with either of these. Have fun! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 1:29AM
jeannespines

oldcrafty...I meant to add this pic to show some samples of 'shrooms...& the paint has stayed on pretty good ...some outside yr round 2 yrs now...fades a bit tho.

Jeanne S.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 1:33AM
cnm1(6 Oh)

I love these mushrooms!! What are they made of? I am thinking cement molds involving bubble wrap for some

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 6:15AM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

Here's pics of cement frog and gnome that I've painted(Gnome finally got a garden tool;-)

Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 11:00AM
arcy_gw

I have made hundreds of cement stepping stones. I got left over acrylic house paint from the recycle center. I have no idea if it was indoor/out door or some of both. 10 years later it hasn't peeled. My conclusion; any paint will work just fine.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 6:29AM
jeannespines

@ cnm1...

Cement mushrooms are made of cement & just any ol' bowl (glass or metal) you have around...sprayed w/cooking spray, pour cement, add toilet paper or paper towel holder & recycled rod (I use some from broken patio umbrella)& fill that w/cement ...bubble wrap makes the textured ones. Fun stuff! Jeanne S.

...and I've used spray enamel paints, too (left-overs!)

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 3:41AM
More Discussions
A Birdhouse Trellis
Here is a birdhouse trellis I made this summer from...
kirkus
Christmas Bottle Tree
I finally got around to making a Christmas bottle tree...
lindasewandsew
Satellite dish
My first attempt at painting a discarded dish that...
oldcrafty
Using paint samples outside ?
Hi all ! I was wondering if anyone knows if we can...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
GJ Inspiration Albums on Photobucket
I've not been here in a long time, but thought I'd...
Purplemoon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™