mice eating my houseplants?

lgsmithSeptember 19, 2006

I just began caring for houseplants this past year, so I am new at all this. For over two weeks now something has been chewing the leaves off my houseplants and also digging holes in the soil. I assumed it to be mice but many mousetraps have gone untouched. I have found droppings that look like mice droppings in the rooms that contain plants. It's getting very frustrating to find 5-10 leaves on my floor every morning. Does anyone have any ideas or help for me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It's time for some major exterminating. I'm not sure that this is a houseplant problem, but a mouse problem! Change your mousetraps, provide a different kind of bait, try several different kinds of traps, or call an exterminator. A large population of indoor mice can be a health hazard for several reasons. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 3:54PM
birdsnblooms

I saw the first mouse on Sun..and yes, they've dug in my plants, made holes, and chewed leaves, too..As much as I hate using poisons, I ended up buying D-Con/D-Kon ..it really helps..I set it in rooms where my birds can't get it. I don't like using traps cause I dont want to remove their corpses. Yuck. Soon, more mice will come in and I'll have my hands full. I also buy sticky traps and place behind the stove, etc..it works..Toni

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 4:05PM
granbjd22

wow, this too has just started with us too! I can't beleive this is happening to others! we put down traps with the favorite Peanutbutter. Not one trap was touched! they just dig the dirt out of my plants. Why do they do this? others can't beleive that the peanutbutter was not touched.nOw we bought a few of the ultra sonic rodent things. they DO work! it chases them out of the house!

Bookmark   September 21, 2006 at 4:33PM
lgsmith

We too have tried the favorite PB to no avail. We've tried traditional mouse traps and the sticky glue kind. Nothing! Thanks for the suggestion of the ultra sonic rodent things. We'll try that out.

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 10:24AM
subtropix

Get a cat! I only find dead mice around here. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 2:18PM

Don't spend a lot of money on those untra-sonic things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Something to think about

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 2:29PM
birdsnblooms

I considered buying one, but am worried the sound will bother my birds and dog. I don't want anything to harm them. I mean, how do they know this sound will not trouble pets other than rodents? Toni

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 4:39PM
highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)

Well, buying a cat will help with the mice, but the cat will eat the plants too!!!

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 5:50PM
gobluedjm

I have very sensitive hearing and I have heard those ultra-sonic devices. Was a ticking sound and very annoying.
I would bet they would definately affect your dog.

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 11:33PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hi,

lol Getting a cat is not always the answer. I have two cats and they wouldn't know what to do with a mouse. lol

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 11:44PM

I hate the thought of using any type of poisonous bait where there are pets in the home. Rodenticide baits are very attractive to other animals. It is soooo easy to leave a door open accidentally and to all of a sudden find your pet in the same room with the bait!

Though it is difficult to find all of the places where mice can gain access to the home, I think that people do miss some of the obvious entries. Check those areas under or around the home where pipes enter the home. Crawl spaces may need to be looked at, too.

I lived in a home where I had to deal with some mice one winter. I used a couple of snap traps baited with gummy worms wound around the 'trigger'. They had to work at it a little bit to get to it all, ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: A pretty good FACT SHEET

Bookmark   September 24, 2006 at 11:29AM
laraine

Wow, I just posted the same problem this morning. I didn't see this post! I haven't seen any leaf biting or droppings though. That's what puzzles me.

Bookmark   March 6, 2007 at 4:25PM
joellenm

I thought I was the only one that had this problem. I thought it was a mouse/rat, however, I haven't found any droppings or holes eaten through my furniture, or whatever. I have tried traditional mouse traps, and the sticky boards and NOTHING! He digs holes in my house plants only - doesn't get into the loose food on the counters in my kitchen (bread, chips, etc). Does anyone have any other ideas?

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 4:21PM
ara133(central PA)

I recommend the Live Traps (like these - http://www.abundantearth.com/store/mousetrap1.html). They work REALLY WELL, in my experience. We used to have mice and voles occasionally, growing up, and we put these traps out with a little piece of bread/cracker with peanut butter on it, and the next day the little critters were inside the trap! Then you just let them go somewhere far away :) Much safer than poisons. For the plants, you can always spray a mixture of hot peppers & water (I steep about 5 habaneros in a qt or so of hot water, for a few days, for outdoor plants); should stop any rodents!

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 7:13PM
noinwi

There's a live trap called the 'Tin Cat' that works pretty well. I purchased one at a garden supply/feed store several years ago. You put bait in it, the mice go in and you just take the trap outside away from your house and lift the lid to let them go.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tin Cat

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
Do you like Cineraria with larger flowers?
I love spring Cineraria. I love this too -
jujujojo_gw
Moister Measurement
I recall having a very useful tool that I could stick...
bobv2
New ZZ Plant - Questions and Concerns
Picked up this ZZ Plant at the Philadelphia Flower...
ehuns27 7a PA
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™