what caused this

cghpndSeptember 4, 2013

I noticed that my peace lilly has a yellow leaf n a few spots on the other ones. I've had it since mother's day this year. The only thing I can think of is I took it to the shower for a spray down. I water it with tap water left out for a week.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cghpnd

Another pic

This post was edited by cghpnd on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 16:01

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 3:56PM
aseedisapromise

Yellow leaves are often indicative of over watering. Take the plant out of the pot and let the soil dry out. If it is in a medium that doesn't dry out easily, change the potting medium to one that does.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 7:27PM
sradleye

idk about overwatering for the peace lily. they seem to like it pretty wet, I just moved mine in to a "semi-hydro" situation to ensure it doesn't dry out. what do you have it potted in? it looks like a lot of perlite? does the pot have a drainage hole? what are your watering habits? how many other leaves have spots? could just be shedding an old leaf and mechanical type scarring on others?

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 7:50PM
cghpnd

Welp, it was over watered. I took it out of the pot and sheesh, it was soaked! not damp but soaked.

I have never watered in the shower, just a few cups at a time n misting it. A few days later now and its droopy, but the soil is not dry. i took all that wet stuff out and mixed it with dry soil and added perlite with some orchid mix.

The smaller ones I have are doing great in the orchid mix with perlite and a little bit of potting soil.
So it seems like the dry stuff mixed with the wet has soaked up alot of the water that was in it before. Does a peace Lilly usually droop after a re potting?

another bigger, older leaf has a few spots. Kinda like a burn spot with the yellow outlining it. But very small and not spreading. Well the one in the pic.
The pot had alot of drainage holes.
i have a water meter that i use every time. Except that one time in the shower obviously. I was spraying under the leaves in particular.
So far no more yellowing leaves.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 9:23AM
aseedisapromise

Peace lilies really like to be moist, but all plants need to have air around their roots too, so if they are kept in a flood they do poorly. Bog plants have the means to do it, but PL isn't one of them. Orchid mix might be a bit coarse for PL, but it is better than soaked peat. I think you are moving in the right direction. PL's do wilt after a total repot, but it should perk up after a while. I am not sure about the brown spots and their specific cause. I always try to get the well drained soils right, and then the plant will grow out of the spots. (This is if I don't really see a specific causal agent for them, like too much sun. It doesn't look like sunburn though.) Have you ever looked up container soils on the container forum?

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils-Water Movement and Retention

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 12:28PM
molliebee

i agree. over watered...perhaps pot too large too...can you do a smaller pot?

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 11:45AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Molliebee, hi & welcome to Gardenweb!

Overwatering is really a misnomer, the problem is with the soil holding onto too much excess moisture, and no tiny air pockets for roots to breathe. I think it should have been called underdrying all along. But anyway, when one uses a porous, chunky, airy soil, pot size is irrelevant, and overwatering/underdrying should become a thing of the past.

The info here could help explain also.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
I believe this is a corn plant... it's blooming and very frangrant!
I recently acquired this house plant from someone that...
kinziestarr
Please help? Need to Id these plants
i received these plants in a funeral arrangement and...
sparga83
Money tree problems
Hi, I'm having some trouble with my Money Tree. It...
jl108
Who am I?
I was at WM and this fellow was on clearance and jumped...
savannaicus
House Plants
Dracaenta Marginata
davers71
Sponsored Products
Calligaris | Ice Bar Stool - Quick Ship
YLiving.com
Black Granite Bathroom stone Sink 27"x16" - TOJI SHADOW
Living'ROC
Hand Loomed Odessa Solid Bordered Tone-On-Tone Wool Area Rug-(9'9 Square)
Overstock.com
Red Ego Swivel Bar Stool - Chrome Base
Zuri Furniture
Best Quality Lighting Path & Landscape Lights LV10VRD Landscape Lighting Path
$79.20 | Home Depot
Tolkin Ceiling Fan by Kichler
$338.00 | Lumens
Florence Style Loft L-Shaped Leather Sectional Sofa in Black
$1,649.00 | LexMod
Stratford Outdoor Rug
$79.00 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™