wandering roots

ken2256(5b)September 29, 2013

Looknig for a plant i can put in a net pot that will send out lots of roots in the net pot..any ideas or suggestions,,it will be grown semi-hydro . thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dellis326 (Danny)

Most plants will grow roots that will grow out of the net pot if grown in the right conditions.

Climbing vines work good in semi-hydro. What types of plant are you interested in?

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 11:40PM
ken2256(5b)

Hello dellis, just about any really, I am enjoying converting from soil to hydroton,with pretty good success, and of course some not so good.I do have a philodendron, thats as close to a vine i have,I do have a peace lily, but its in soil yet, but i have been told they do well in water.one that i looked at today was a water lily, they have a crazy root system, i will try those. thanks

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 5:38PM
dellis326 (Danny)

Peace Lilies do very well growing is S-H. I have about a square foot of them growing in hydroton.

I also have several types of philodendron, an Anthurium plowmanii, an Anthurium pallidiflorum, an Aglaonema, A pineapple, a schefflera and a couple of orchids all growing semi-hydro in either hydroton or sphagnum.

I don't know if a water lily would work because they need the water they grow in to support the plant. Most aquatic plants really don't adapt well to growing out of or above the water surface. Many of the plants sold as "amazon swords" can grow emersed and may be able to adapt to S_H. Possibly they are really bog plants. I've tried Java fern, they wouldn't adapt.

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 11:18PM
ken2256(5b)

hi dellis, i will try the Anthuriums and Aglaonemas As far as the water lilys ,i meant to say i will keep them immersed in containers...I just converted a african violet over to hydroton, I,ll see how that gos. I like the idea of the amazon swords as well.

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 9:18AM
paul_(z5 MI)

Orchids

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 1:13PM
ken2256(5b)

hey paul, any certain type of orchid or just about any. thanks

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 4:13PM
More Discussions
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Advice for house plant --- very little sunshine, pics included
Would any of these plants work for a bedroom that gets...
bob131313
Parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans) seeds, male vs. female
Though they bloom like crazy, this is the first time...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Avocado Plant Dying
I bought this grafted dwarf Wurtz avocado tree this...
nobbyv77
Peace Lily -Black Leaves
This is a repost from 2005! I've reviewed every thread...
sylvan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™