Pls help me fix my "soil"
Long story short- I need to fix my "soil" for cheap. I have Miracle Grow (which is awful), half a bag of small perlite, half a bag of vermiculite (that is nearly as small as sand), and bunch of pots full of a mix of the three.
I really can't justify spending more than $15-$20 right now on soil. If I wait a few months, I could spend a bit more.
Is it better to amend the soil to "decent" right now, to try to get my plants out of cruddy soil? Or should I just water less for now, and do it all the way when I have the extra money?
I'm not as worried about the succulents, because for the time being I can let them dry out longer. But I have some plants that like to stay damp but not wet, and I'm not really sure how to make that happen with this junk that I am using.
What I'm using right now has so much perlite that it's ugly, it feels pretty sandy (because of the vermiculite), and it's still wierdly wet on top, a number of days after watering.
I could maybe buy some more cactus blend, use that for now, and just repot everything next spring, which I'm assuming is the best time to repot.
I recently bought a bunch of discount (50cent) plants at Canadian Tire. They were VERY sad looking, and I wanted to repot them when I got home, so I bought a bag of Miracle Grow potting "soil". It was against my better judgment, but I had to be cheap. It seemed light and fluffy, so I thought it would be fine, and repotted a lot of my plants with it.
It is AWFUL, soggy, wet stuff.
So I bought some perlite, vermiculite, and orchid mix to add in. The orchid mix went back, because the pieces were huge. The perlite is smaller than other perlite I've used before, and the vermiculite looks to be just a little bigger than sand.
I tried a mix of 3 parts MG, 1 part vermiculite, 1 part perlite. Too soggy still, but not as bad.
My succulents (jade, kalanchoe, and aloe plant) I repotted again, taking the last mix, and mixing 1 part of that, 1 part vermiculite, and 1 part perlite.
My aloe plant WAS in a cactus blend, and was doing really well, considering a few months back nearly all the roots were rotten, and when I repotted it recently, there were lots of new healthy looking roots. Not sure why I messed with success. I suppose I thought the cactus blend was staying damp a bit too long.