Poblano Chili questions

ediej1209(5 N Central OH)October 19, 2013

OK, I'll admit it - my taste buds are wimps. I do not like hot peppers! However... this week I bought a poblano chili pepper to make some salsa for my husband. It was a very deep green color. He persuaded me to take a taste. It was pretty darn good! Not hot, sweet & crisp, but with a slightly warm aftertaste. So, I think I would like to try growing them next year. Is there more than one type of poblano? If so, what variety should I be looking for? Would they even do well in our climate?
Thanks!
Edie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
73dave

I am in the same zone and I have grown them two years.
I have only seen one variety, They have a somewhat long growing season for me. I started them from seed indoors in March. You can find more
information about them on the Hot Pepper forum here, even though they are not hot.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 9:17PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I think there is just one kind of poblano(as you have described)
There are other peppers that are similar in taste and heat; Like chilaca(holy mole) Cubanelle, Gypsy.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 9:18PM
nc_crn

"Ancho San Martin" (hybird) is a rather low-heat poblano...also rather early maturing. It's got a good flavor behind the heat, especially when it streaks or goes fully red-ripe.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 9:26PM
ediej1209(5 N Central OH)

Wow, thanks so much! OK, these are definitely added to my grow list for next year. I appreciate the advice!
Edie

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 10:46PM
planatus(6)

It has been my experience that poblanos wait until late in the season to load up, and then you get a big yield all at once in September. The plants have a candelabra growth habit like you often see in southwestern peppers and tomatillos.

Seysonn's suggestions -- Gypsy and other Cubanelles -- will fruit much earlier. Grow lots of those.

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 8:55AM
ediej1209(5 N Central OH)

Hmmm... OK, I will add Gypsy to the list also. Thanks!!

Edie

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 10:37AM
farmerdill

In addition to the generic open pollinated poblano There is Ancho 211, Tiberon, Ancho 101, Ancho San Martin, Caballero, Ancho Magnifico, Ancho Gigantea (OP), Ancho Grande, Ancho L, Ancho Mulato, Ancho Ranchero, Ancho Rojo, Ancho San Luis, Don Emilio etc. Plenty of varieties to choose from. The hybrids tend to have shorter maturity times, some coming in at 65 day green, 90 day ripe.
Cubanelles for me are sweet peppers, but they are more prolific and easier to grow than bells. Gypsy is also a sweet pepper, but closer in flavor to an Italian frying pepper than a bell. If you wish to that route, You should also consider Carmen

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
Tomato cages
I have a large number (40+) tomato cages made from...
drscottr
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™