Yay Baker Creek! (this goes with Yay school gardens)

nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)October 15, 2012

Stopped by Baker Creek today after my Chiro appt, just to check in and see what their policy is on school gardens. I was informed that they start in January for the spring. Oh well, I was ready to buy some stuff for my own garden anyway (late, I know) I listed the stuff I could start in Oct by seed in my little notebook, and all of a sudden this lady shows up with a basket, asks me about my small, but growing garden at school, and takes me on a $25 shopping trip through the store! Zounds! No proof needed, though she would like a letter on school letterhead etc.

She really worked with me cause many of my spec ed students are very resistant to veges as a whole, but spicy is a no-no!

I assured her we would send the letter and some pictures!

I was really bummed, cause the little farm that gave us many starts for free shut it's doors at the start of the month, and I wasn't sure we'd get any winter stuff planted!

Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan(5B SW Michigan)

Great! Glad to hear it. BC has been very helpful with our school garden projects, also. We've always sent thank you notes immediately after receiving any donation...on letterhead, of course. Then later in the season we follow up with handwritten notes from the students telling of their experiences and a photo with the students showing off their produce in the garden. Now after a few year of looking for partners, we are getting calls from local places asking if we can use surplus items they have. It makes it possible for us to try a lot of ideas we couldn't do otherwise

Hope you continue to have people help you out. Let me know if there are specific seeds you are still hoping for.....we might have some to share from our donations.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
jute for vines?
I picked up some jute twine to trellis my beans, cucumbers...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
what do I do with sprouting sweet potatoes?
It way to early to plant the sprouts.. need to be near...
jeanwedding
Long post but help please?
Okay, So. This year I started all my vegetables from...
jenandwya
Why is Zucchini Stem Splitting?
This is my first year growing zucchini. It's in a container...
Cliff Pruitt
Storing onion sets
I purchased a bag of onion sets for growing as green...
rgress
Sponsored Products
Quoizel Cloverdale 3-Light Mottled Cocoa Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Sunburst Hoop Modern Lounge Chair in Turquoise
$397.99 | Dot & Bo
A-America Westlake Media Chest Cherry Brown Finish
Beyond Stores
Sun Face 12'' Tortilla Warmer
$7.99 | zulily
Alpine Furniture Morgan 5 Piece Counter Height Dining Set - ALPE199
Hayneedle