Lucky bamboo yellow at the bottom

greenzzzSeptember 12, 2011

My beautiful Lucky Bamboo spiraled stalks are almost 3 feet...Had it for over three years in same pot in water and rocks....Now I see the lower part of the stalks above the roots is yellow rest of the the plant is beautiful green....Can I cut the bottom part and root it again??Thanks....Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
squidy(8a)

I think so, but you'd better do it quick because the yellow will only spread. That's what happened to mine, I'm trying to root the last little bit, but I don't think it has enough strength left in it. D:
On the other hand, I recently planted another lucky bamboo in soil and it quickly put up a new shoot. Maybe if you somehow got yours into soil (root in water first?) it would do better.
But I am not an expert.

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 8:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Joe1980(5)

Gotta figure out why it's yellowing out though first. The law of cause & effect apply here; you must figure out the cause before fixing the effect. We'll need to know a little more, particularly how often are you changing the water? What are you using for fertilizer, how much, and how often? With plants grown in water, there can be a real issue with salt accumulation, because the water is not draining through, but rather just staying there to accumulate everything that your plant does NOT use. Also, unless you are using a complete fertilizer like Foliage Pro 9-3-6, which contains ALL of the essential nutrients, odds are, your plant is lacking calcium and/or magnesium.

Joe

Bookmark   September 13, 2011 at 9:36PM
More Discussions
Satus Update!
It was 52 degrees yesterday, and in my yard I found...
Rhamel(teengardener1888)
Spider plant looking pale
I have a spider that plant that has started to look...
ptsourkas
White bugs in saucer under spider plant
I found a pile of these small white bugs in the saucer...
Caitlin Maraist
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
pepperomia plant how to grow?
I would like some help on caring for a Pepperomia plant....
muffy1954
Sponsored Products
Black Eiffel Slope Chair in Yellow
$129.99 | Dot & Bo
Clear & Yellow Anchor 24-Oz. Mason Jar Tumbler
$7.99 | zulily
Surge Yellow and Gray Rectangular: 4 Ft. 7 In. x 7 Ft. 7 In. Rug
$298.00 | Bellacor
Rotoluxe | Rotoluxeâ„¢ Infinity Bench 2 - Outdoor Use
YLiving.com
Yellow and Ivory 22 x 22 Wool Pillow
$63.60 | Bellacor
Missoni Home | Olvera Outdoor Pouf Bag
YLiving.com
Reversible Grain Cutting Board - 1314
$42.99 | Hayneedle
New Art Design Heriz Rug Hand Knotted Wool 3'x10' Serapi Oriental Area Rug H5171
BH Sun Inc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™