lettuce and snow??

michelelcOctober 27, 2011

UGH! I just can't win this year. I have 2 raised beds filled with different lettuces, arugula, bok choy, beets, radish and swiss chard. Well, wouldn't you know it, I had to travel for work this week, which I rarely have to do, and after I left on Tuesday the forecast changed for tonight from low of 41 to light snow and a low of 31!! I got home tonight and it had started to snow about an hour before. There was a light coating of snow on all the greens in the garden. I quickly put tarps over my hoops which was the easiest and quickest thing I could do. The lettuces and radish tops looked pretty droopy, not sure if it was from the weight of the snow or if they were dead. Can lettuce tolerate a light snow if they were covered within a couple of hours? I'm so frustrated. As a side note, I was trying to pick the last few peppers I had let go and the 1 eggplant when I saw a large raccoon on the other side of my yard, in the corner by my basement door! When I yelled, it darted down my basement stairs, yikes. Luckily, there is another door at the bottom, which was closed. I went inside another way, and banged on the inside door to scare the raccoon out. I didn't get to pick the rest of the peppers because I wasn't interested in tangling with the raccoon which was still hanging around. I just can't win this year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Slimy_Okra(2b)

All your veggies will be fine. A light dusting of snow is actually beneficial but at upper 20s or low 30s, it doesn't matter one way or another. Just avoid touching them when they are frozen.
Last fall, I had bok choi outside around Halloween when it dipped to 8 degrees F. The snow-covered ones survived, but the ones that had a plastic tent over them (so no snow) died.

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 10:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michelelc

Oh, thank you for responding so quickly! :) I was feeling quite down about it. It's been such a battle this year. I learn something new every year, or I should say, many new things every year. I will put my row covers on from now on and leave them on when I go away!

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 10:38PM
More Discussions
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™