Storing Carrots

hudson___wy(3)October 16, 2013

Here is an idea if you don't have a root cellar like we don't - yet. We layered the carrots in damp sand in buckets last October and they stored wonderfully! We covered the buckets with an old rug. We can't leave them in the ground in our zone - our water line has to be buried 6' deep to be safe from freezing. But the sand idea works fine stored at 40 degrees or there about. This photo shows how they looked in March - crisp - sweet - carrots!

This post was edited by Hudson...WY on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 20:03

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

Photo isn't working. I blanch mine for 5 minutes and freeze. Man, nothing like fresh carrots!

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 11:46AM
hudson___wy(3)

Hi Tommyr - Yes - we do the same thing (blanch & freeze) - we also bottle some of our carrots. The sand buckets are for fresh carrots - crisp & sweet! Hope the photo will show up this time??

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 8:07PM
glib(5.5)

I do the same, with turnips and beets and half the carrots. I wait until 2 weeks after first frost of course, and the other half carrots will overwinter under a light mulch. It gets in the mid 20 in my garage, but if you cover the buckets with a tarp, and keep them on the floor and against the house, they don't freeze. I also add buckets of water under the tarp on the coldest nights (when it is 0F outside), it takes them a few days to freeze and the root cellar makes it without freezing.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 8:13PM
tommyr_gw

Hudson...WY,
Ahhhh, see the photos now! Nice! Have to try that next year! Going to grow a lot more carrots. Onions too!

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 8:16PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

- our water line has to be buried 6' deep to be safe from freezing. (hudson)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
O! my goodness ! 6 foot deep water line.
Good thing you built a greenhouse. So when do you start getting in there for the next season ?

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 6:04AM
hudson___wy(3)

Seysonn - our winter temps get as low as minus 40 degrees - that's cold. We usually open the green house in late March and close it down in late October. We use frost blankets in the garden to protect from freezing in early spring and late fall. Wonderful place to live but the high elevation complicates gardening!

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 12:10AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Hudson .... I know how it is . I have live in a place where the last frost date was like in late June - early July.

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 1:20AM
Deeby

Clever ! Portable root cellars ! The pictures make me want a crisp, cool carrot !

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 12:44AM
spartan-apple

Hudson:

Neat idea. Not new but it still works. My grandmother told
me about doing this over 40 years ago as she did carrots and beets that way. As a youth, we used to store our carrots in buckets of sand in the garage until at least December until our garage got too cold.

I have never tried it on beets personally. My garden is too
small so I just bag the beets into one gallon ziplock bags and put in the refrigerator. They have kept well until March
that way although they seem to have the best flavor if used by January.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 11:39AM
hudson___wy(3)

Spartan-apple
I agree - not a new idea - just one that a lot of gardeners may overlook and one that is an option for gardeners who live in a cold zone where storing them in the ground covered with mulch etc - is not a good option.

I hadn't considered storing beets in sand - we never prepare them for meals - fresh - we may be missing out? We do love them pickled though and every fall - dig them all up and bottle them - getting the mess over with all at one time - then enjoying them all winter long!

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 10:07AM
ZaraMorant

we used to store our green beans in pails of sand in the spare room area until Dec our garage area got too cold in it.

This post was edited by ZaraMorant on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 9:18

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 11:22AM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

I stuff as many carrots and beets as I can into the vegetable bin in the fridge. They keep for months in there.

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 6:24AM
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

Edit: I posted this message in the wrong place. Sorry. lol

This post was edited by theforgottenone1013 on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 19:33

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 7:30PM
More Discussions
WHO calls Roundup a probable carcinogen
Very interesting... I tend to remain neutral towards...
Peter (6b SE NY)
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Boo hoo! Purple sprouting broccoli didn't survive the winter!
I was looking forward to early broccoli this year....
ffreidl z5a
good weed fighters
Am looking for ideas to fight off weeds. Currently...
sepulvd
Skirret and Sea Kale
Can someone tell me where I might buy Skirret and Sea...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™