where do spider mites hide?

xmikelx(6)September 4, 2011

i just found a very ligt infestation of mites.

i took all of my plants and placed them into a bucket ( one at a time)full of water, hand soap, and alchohol; i did not put any certain about of pumps or tblspoons. the pot was mostly submerged then, i sprayed the foliage with same solution.

i posted this on pest and diseases also, in hopes of getting more answers or information from different people. :)

i left the plant like this for idk maybe 20 to half hour like this ,sitting in solution, for each plant. i did this to even ones that didnt have any mites.

the one that i am worried about is my stromanthe tricolor.:( it had the most and its the only one which i see 1 or 2 here nd there after the "bath".

i do not see mites on the actual foliage,which is weird, only walking along the outside of clay pot. so...... do mites hide in the soil or near drainage holes or in foliage???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emerald1951

Hi....one thing that I have learned about mites is they are every where....
under the leaves...
on the stems of the leaves, trunks of the plants...
under the rim of the pots...
in the pot trays....
on pot hangers...
on plant stands...
if you dollies ar table covers with lace...in the lace and clothe....
as I said they are every where.....
I have washed everything the plant and pot touches or is near....good luck...I have had these little beggers...not easy to get rid of....linda

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 10:20PM
xmikelx(6)

thanks for reply. i most definitely did clean my plant area. wiped area down.

i guess i will be diligent in this little war. hopefully i win, i dont want a reapeat of last year, i had to toss numerous plants out because of heavyyy infestation of mites. :(

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 8:17PM
dieg01991(4b)

Spider mites can come from anywhere. They thrive in dry conditions and they really love certain plants. They are easy to control by spraying them with water and keeping the air around the plant as humid as possible (which is difficult in a house). You had the right idea soaking them, but you don't want to soak your plants too often, because then root rot and soil gnats will become problems.

I have a few plants that get spider mites during the winter. I spray those plants a few times a week to keep the spider mites from infesting them. I use a mist spray bottle with a little bit of ivory soap in it. For heavy infestations, I will wipe the leaves with a damp cloth, soaking the cloth in soapy water between each leaf. Not all plants will get spider mite, so it's easier to just focus on treating the plants that have them, and try to keep others at a distance.

Amy

Bookmark   September 7, 2011 at 12:01AM
xmikelx(6)

thanks amy. i have been spraying and wiping more often. and i have yet to see any mites.. i think i won im so happy.

seems quick though. ill keep an eye on my stromanthe.

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
Desert Rose That Will Not Bloom
I have a desert rose that is roughly 4 or 5 years old....
Tiffany Martin
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
Satus Update!
It was 52 degrees yesterday, and in my yard I found...
Rhamel(teengardener1888)
Fiddle Leaf Fig & Baby Jade help...
I've had this fiddle leaf fig for about a year. Why...
sjhermann
Sponsored Products
Cozy Shag Rug
Home Decorators Collection
'Home is Where Mom Is' Box Sign
$14.99 | zulily
Hinkley 40 Degree Bronze 8 Watt LED Landscape Spotlight
Lamps Plus
nuLOOM Hand-tufted Modern Indoor/ Outdoor Yellow Rug (8'6 x 11'6)
Overstock.com
Oval Bulkhead Light - Medium - Davey Lighting
$413.00 | HORNE
Safavieh Hand-woven Weaves Natural-colored Fine Sisal Rug (7'6 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
Brown, 4' x 6' Hand-Knotted Rugs, Handmade Turkish Oushak Rug | Free pad | H2166
BH Sun Inc
Prairie Collection Rug 4' x 6' - BEIGE
$1,099.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™