Saving Pumpkin Seeds & cross pollination

9helleyNovember 5, 2012

I went to a local u pick pumpkin patch this year and picked jarrahdale, Lumina, Long Island Cheese, Cinderella, Lil Pump-Ke-Mon, Lil Orange, Baby Boo & Munchkin pumpkins.

They also grew Galeux d'Eysines, Howdens, winter guords in their 3 acre patch.

Can I save the seeds and use them for my next years whole front yard pumpkin patch? Or is it even worth it because of cross pollination?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
planatus(6)

Those varieties represent three different species, so some will probably come true (long Island cheese, C. moschata) while others will be a mix. That should not matter much in a big mixed patch, could be cool.

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 7:50AM
elisa_z5

9helley -- I love the idea of a whole front yard pumpkin patch. Are you in the suburbs? Even better :)

I have always heard that squash is so promiscuous that it's better to get "true" seeds. BUT it sounds like it could be a fun experiment. And how could you eat that many pumpkins anyway? They'll look great, (and interesting) and then you can just cook the ones that taste good.

Elisa, planning to wrestle a huge (can't pick it up alone) Musque De Provence pumpkin into frozen and canned submission today.

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 9:38AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

As already mention some will breed true but most will not. That's fine as long as you don't sell them as true breed or trade the seeds as true breed. The F2 will be even more crossed.

So is it worth it? All depends on how you plan to use them. For personal use - great. For sale or trade - not so great.

Dave

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 10:43AM
gardenlen(s/e qld aust)

mmm some say some won't cross pollinate, me i dunno? so i'll leave that one alone, pumpkins are noted for cross pollinating and you never know when it has happened until you keep and grow from your own seed.

X-s can be good fruit but have had some that are only good for wood carving unless you like pumpkin soup.

i would say if you want to grow a particular pumpkin then source known heirloom seeds open pollinated. from planting to picking is a long gap if picked only when ripe.

i have kent/jap and queensland blue's growing together (they are about the best eating)haven't decided what i am going to do about next seasons plantings as yet, a bit of effort paper bagging coming female and male flowers so i can hand pollinate then bag the female again until the next day.

anyhow give them a try.

a ripe pumpkin is great eating

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
Asparagus help
Hello All, I'm going to start an Asparagus patch this...
nick0001
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Why is Zucchini Stem Splitting?
This is my first year growing zucchini. It's in a container...
Cliff Pruitt
Need advice on setup
I am in charge of a community garden at my place of...
Brandon Smith
Sponsored Products
Bath Authority DreamLine Mirage Frameless Sliding Shower Door (44"-48")
Modern Bathroom
LED Miners 15 Inch Eight-Light Wall Lantern -Dark Rust
$359.10 | Bellacor
Telephone Hand Shower with Luxury Slide Bar - English Nickel
Signature Hardware
Eglo Roofus 1-Light Outdoor Stainless Steel Post Light 87098A
Home Depot
Herman Miller | EamesĀ® Desk Unit 20
YLiving.com
Chrome Concealed Thermostatic Triple Shower Valve & Diverter 3 Outlets
Hudson Reed
People viewed this after searching for: