inconsistant brocolli heads??

dan_nz_gardenerNovember 1, 2012

hey all

Im real tired of hit and miss with brocolli heads. I'v been vege gardening for years and cant figure this out, no matter what time of year, spring summer autumn winter sometimes i get lovely big heads, others they start heading prematurely and i end up with a 50mm head. My soil is consistant and top quality, always adding compost etc, everything else i grow flourishes. The small heads are on healthy dark green plants so its not like the plants are struggling.

Iat the beggining of spring i grew a lovely batch of brocolli but the next batch all produces tiny heads nit worth harvesting.

Uf anyone can shed some light on this i would be very gratefull.

Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PlantsAndYarn(5)

I would be interested in what other have to say about this. Like you the rest of the garden flourishes but I always get small heads on my broccoli. I have tried different areas of the garden, etc but always the same results. I always have enough to put up in the freezer, but can't get really big heads out of the plant.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 7:02AM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

Well, I have gotten some huge and very tender heads.
I live in East Central Indiana. I grow both spring broccoli and fall broccoli and fall cauliflower. One recently picked head of cauliflower may have been 10 inches across.

Timing of seed sowing is critical to good success. I sow spring broccoli about the 17th of March inside and take them outside as much as possible. Then I set them out in the garden after about 26 days. If it gets extra cold a night or two before the roots are established in the soil, cover them overnight. They only rarely need that..
I sow cauliflower seeds in plastic pots out on the picnic table about June 16th...and perhaps 3 or 4 broccoli. On about July 5th I sow more broccoli and perhaps a few more about the 12th. I set these out in the garden after about 26 days while they are smallish [important] and water well if needed for as long as needed [very important].

I sow Emerald Crown and Imperial broccoli [Stokes Seeds] and Symphony cauliflower [Fedco] and perhaps a couple early Snow Crowns.

Broccoli and cauliflower are sweetish soil lovers. I don't have worm trouble in the spring, but have to keep them off in the fall.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 11:45AM
lgteacher(SCal)

Dan, it would help to know what zone you are in and what the weather's like. That really has a big influence on your crop.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 12:17PM
dan_nz_gardener

Im in wanganui new zealand, sorry i dont know how that works out with zones, very temperate climate, i have a full garden all year round, as i said i cant find any pattern, it doesnt matter which time of year it is or how hot/cold its brocolli roulette if ill get a crop or not.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 2:45PM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

Broccoli needs to mature in cool and moist weather for nice big tender heads. Here October is best.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 4:01PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Here you go -- Growing broccoli in New Zealand

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing broccoli in New Zealand

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 6:07PM
More Discussions
Why is Zucchini Stem Splitting?
This is my first year growing zucchini. It's in a container...
Cliff Pruitt
weed or seedling
In the area of this seedling my daughter put radish...
sepulvd
Asparagus sprouts getting TALL
Planted them on 3/9, in small 2-inch pots, potting...
ilovecucumbers
Problem Peas - germination
Can anyone advise me on the best way of getting peas...
Steve Kind
What is wrong with my cauliflower head?
One of my cauliflowers with the same soil, fertilizer,...
djkj
Sponsored Products
Stickbulb | 3 Foot Torch Table Lamp
$450.00 | YLighting
Stickbulb | 2 Foot Torch Table Lamp
$350.00 | YLighting
Perry Mackin Harper Tote Diaper Bag - Black - 1001BLK
$168.00 | Hayneedle
Stickbulb | Little Bang Table Lamp
YLighting
Perry Mackin Zoey Tote Diaper Bag - Brown - 1002BRW
$175.99 | Hayneedle