I want to grow the right pepperoncini..

laceyvail(6A, WV)November 27, 2012

just like the pepperoncini you buy pickled. What pepper should I grow, and does anyone have a recipe for pickling them so they taste like the ones you buy?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
planatus(6)

Last summer there was a good discussion of pickling peppers in the Harvest forum. Lots of people say the key to like store-bought is a product called pickle crisp.

Using a banana pepper you can cut into rings is more practical than trying to grow a bunch of little peppers for a batch of pickles. Sweet Banana and Hot Hungarian Wax are often used for this, depending on whether you want them sweet or hot. I love pickled peppers, too!

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 7:54AM
weirdtrev

I am confused by your question, pepperoncini is the name of the actual pepper. To get a pickled pepperoncini you grow pepperoncini and pickle them. If you are asking which variety of pepperoncini is used in the product you bought, I can't help you, but you could try to get the seeds out of the pickled product and see if they germinate. Some might germinate.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 8:52AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

There is no one right variety. The variety used to make the store bought ones all depends on the brand you buy. Some use Tuscan peppers, some use Greek Sweets, some use Italian Sweets, etc.

The most common variety used is probably the Italian Sweet and seeds are available from several sources.

How to best pickle them is a Harvest forum question and as mentioned above, discussed in great detail there.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian Pepperoncini seeds

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 10:20AM
PunkRotten(9b)

I got 2 pepperoncini plants that are really productive. Mine is a Greek Variety. They start out green then get a subtle yellow, then ripen to red. I also have a Hot Cherry pepper plant that I pick and often mix in with the pepperoncinis. I make a brine something like 3 cups water, 2 cups white vinegar, and a tablespoon of salt. I also simmer this with crushed garlic. My pickles come out a little softer than store bought but the flavor is great.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 3:20AM
abnorm(Orlando)

I have grown the Greek Golden Pepperonicini....very productive but I don't "pickle"

Want some free seeds?.....you have mail.......doug

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 6:08AM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Thanks for all the replies.
Planatus--I do pickle banana pepper rings, but the taste is nothing like store bought pepperoncinis. Also, please run the recipe you posted by the Harvest forum. I think it's unsafe. My understanding is that for vinegar based pickles to be safe, you must use a minimum of equal amounts of vinegar and water.

Looks like there is a lot of disagreement on which is the "right" pepper to grow.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 6:27AM
PunkRotten(9b)

I got the recipe out of Ball canning book plus I have eaten many pickles with this ratio and never got sick.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 2:26PM
More Discussions
Garden row orientation: east-west, or north-south?
I'm wondering if there is any benefit to orientating...
nick_b79
Experiment Results: Growing vegetables in different soil-less mixes
If someone are interested to follow an experiment to...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Planting where dog used to poop
We haven't had a god in two years. Is it okay to plant...
Theresa24
Garden Huckleberry
Hey folks, I thought Id mention a new crop which we...
macmex
Too many seeds, not enough light
Right now, have basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary,...
ilovecucumbers
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™