spiderplant reverse varigation

jake579September 1, 2013

I purchased a varigated spider plant today, i belive it is reverse varigated because it is green on the edges and white in the middle of the leaves. it has several stalks with new babies forming and i wasnt sure if i should trim them or leave them. wil the babies drain energy from the parent plant if i leave them? any advice on that and anything else I might want to know/consider would be more then appreciated. Thank you so much :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pumpkineater2

You can leave the babies on As long as they're not too big. If the mother plant ever seems like it is rundown, Weak, or has been declining, you can cut them off to lighten the load on the mother. The ones with green on the outside of the leaf have less chlorophyll to photosynthesize with so bright light is best. Let the soil dry a little between waterings. Spider plants are sensitive to chemicals in tap water so watering with rainwater or distilled should be ok. You can create seed too by pollinating the flowers with a paintbrush. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 9:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jake579

Thank you so much!! I've seen some spider plants at our fav restaurant and it has so many babies...both large and small...that you almost can't see the pot anymore....the stems on mine are just over a foot long will those fill out over time? or do the babies just grow on the ends? I'd love to know what to expect from this beast hahaha

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 9:10AM
More Discussions
Pachira browning
Hi, all! My Pachira needs help. The trunk is not soft...
deborahsab
Desert Rose That Will Not Bloom
I have a desert rose that is roughly 4 or 5 years old....
Tiffany Martin
What kind of plant is this?
I recently purchased a houseplant from b&q but...
hancoll
Question on pot-up house Azaleas
I have no problem growing florist Azalea as a houseplant....
jujujojo_gw
White bugs in saucer under spider plant
I found a pile of these small white bugs in the saucer...
Caitlin Maraist
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™