Crafting with tree logs question

Cheri_C(z5OH)April 30, 2012

My husband and I have been making things out of logs. And we want to do more. Our problem is we've been having trouble when we cut the logs into pieces they end up splitting. We have used season wood and just freshly cut wood. Is there a specific tree that doesn't split like some of the others do? We live in the woods so we have several different kinds of trees. We have made deers, rabbits and angels. And I've had a set of deers and angel for several years and they have never split. Not for sure what kind of wood they are made out of. I was working on the angels tonight and every base that my husband cut out for the angels has a split in it. i would appreciate any advise you could give me. Thanks so much. Cheri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tehuti

This was taken from a carving blog: move down almost to the bottom of the page.

As you all know, shortly after cutting any type of wood, it will begin to crack. If you store your wood in a place where it is at all dry this can happen overnight. Apple and Cherry will crack in just a few hours indoors, sometimes the ends will split several inches and ruin the whole piece. There are several ways to slow this down and sometimes prevent it from happening. In the past I've melted wax in an deep electric skillet. Then I would dip both ends of the piece. This absolutely works great, but you have to have a goodly supply of wax, candles etc... around and it really only works for the ends or small (whole) pieces. About two years ago I switched to a product called Anchor Seal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carving Blog

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 7:21PM
More Discussions
Need to repurpose a leaking birdbath
Yesterday was one of the nicest days in ages; I could...
patty2430
Christmas Bottle Tree
I finally got around to making a Christmas bottle tree...
lindasewandsew
GJ Inspiration Albums on Photobucket
I've not been here in a long time, but thought I'd...
Purplemoon
Thinking of turning this old water faucet into a short light post
I figured removing the faucet itself...and adding a...
cadillactaste
msn garden junk-sad
As some of you know, MSN is closing! I am sorry to...
nonacook
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™