I regret this already

north53 Z1b MB(zone 1b Canada)September 22, 2012

So I had this rather large container with a begonia in it. I've been struggling to decide which plants are coming back indoors for the winter. I have a small house that faces north, so I don't have much room.

Anyway, I felt that the begonia was now way too large to bring in. I decided to just take a few slips.

In the meantime we had a few light frosts. Now I'm upset because the slips are looking very sad.

In a last ditch effort I dumped out the pot to see if there were any salvageable pieces. What I discovered was that the plant easily separates into sections. I could have selected a couple of smaller pieces and potted them up.

So I'm trying now, but it's probably too late.

At least I have a picture.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
summersunlight(5b)

That was a nice looking plant for sure. I hope that the cuttings you took pull through.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 10:54AM
birdsnblooms

Hi North..I'm unsure what you did..lol.

When you unpotted, was the foliage destroyed? If not, can you repot in the same container?

Since your house has little space, is it possible to place your plant in a hanging basket?

Also, since most of your windows face north, have you considered adding artificial lights?

Your Begonia and other goodies are gorgeous. Toni

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 2:54PM
north53 Z1b MB(zone 1b Canada)

Toni, this a really big container. I guess I just got overwhelmed by all the plants that needed to be dealt with. I looked at the begonia and felt there was no way I could bring it in, so took a few quick slips.

A week or so later, I noticed the slips were going downhill rapidly. That's when I went out to see if I could salvage anything of the plant. Trouble is, we'd had frost by then.
Had I realized how easily the begonia could be divided, I would have done it while the plant was still in good shape.
Now it is very questionable if the divisions will survive, seeing how they have been damaged by frost.

This is one of those plants that flourishes outdoors. It mixes nicely in my shade containers, so is nice to have.

BTW, I do have artificial lights down the basement. But they quickly fill up with coleus and geraniums, etc. I took slips of all kinds of things, lol.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 9:44PM
birdsnblooms

North, I can see why your plants need a big container. :)

Is the trunk firm or soft? If firm, your Begonia is alive. Check the trunk/stems daily.
If firm a week or so later, you have nothing to worry about.

It's a Beautiful Begonia. Leaves have so much purple. I hope it's okay. Toni

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
It hursts so that my Pachira Aquatica "money tree" plant is hurting so
Hi all, love this site and I finally joined! I've read...
mobbsuit_beasley
Unknown house plant
I bought this Exotic Angel plant at Home Depot and...
bouldergrower
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™