Say Hi to Phyllis, (my arrowhead vine)

tifflj(6 Pitts, PA)September 25, 2012

Phyllis is one of my problem plants. She started out in a 9" pot...stupid me. And then I put her in a 6" about 2 weeks later after I realized...DUH!

Since having her her biggest problem has been the shorter leaves closest to the soil turning yellow. She has had about 4-5 of them turn yellow and I snipped them. She just had one the other day.

Other than that she seems ok. She has 5 new sprouts coming up.

So what are some tips and tricks for her that you have experienced?

What will she do? Grow tall, eventually hang?

How can I get her bigger and bushier?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tifflj(6 Pitts, PA)

Top view of Phyllis

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 9:57PM
plantomaniac08(8)

I'm trying to remember what caused yellow leaves on my arrowhead vine, it wass either overwatering or underwatering (Not sure if that helps you at all).

Planto

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 10:43PM
tropicbreezent

"Phyllis" is a Syngonium, they're a climbing aroid that are more at home scrambling up over trees than sitting in a pot of soil. So they do best kept in a free draining organic mix. There's quite a lot of varieties that have been bred and are available on the market.

The leaves on Phyllis are the immature ones. As the plant matures the leaves will change. As far as height goes, the sky's the limit. They grow up high and drop runners down to the ground which then go running off to find a new tree. Some of mine that have taken over some trees.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 11:33PM
birdsnblooms

TropicBreeze..now that is one huge Syngonium..Beautiful! What a gorgeous scene..Is the place your garden???

Tiff, reducing pot size was a good idea. I only have one Sygonium..leaves yellow when soil dries too much, however, they will yellow from over-watering, too.

Once Phyllis gets a little taller, she'll start leaning..It's up to you if you want her to hang or grow upright.
To be honest, at least in my opinion, an upright/staked Sygonium looks nicer. Leaves grow larger when staked, too.

An occassional yellow leaf is normal, but if it happens daily, there's a problem.

Phyllis looks healthy enough. Vivid colors, perfectly-shaped leaves. So far so good. Toni

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 10:06AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

When it starts making a vine, you'll know. It will stick out and should start making aerial roots soon. If it has something to climb on, those roots will cling to the support. If not, the vines will dangle over the edge. Pieces with aerial roots can be used to start new plants.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 11:14AM
PRO
The Ficus Wrangler

Syngonium grow like weeds - literally - outdoors in the tropics. You probably won't see that much change in leaf shape, since you'll have it in a pot. And yes, it will make a huge hanging plant. Don't worry about the tiny yellow leaves, especially since you see new growth. As it gains some maturity, if it gets too dry, the older leaves on the stems will yellow. It's very adaptable, but doesn't really like to stay moist - let the soil aerate around 70 - 80% beteen waterings. It will start sending out vines when it settles, and if you want to make it thicker quickly, just cut those vines into pieces and stick them back into the soil. Remember, it's a weed. Beautiful, absolutely, but still a weed.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 6:19PM
tifflj(6 Pitts, PA)

All your information is awesome everyone. Thank you so much. Right now though there is only about 10 leaves coming up from the soil. I dont understand how it will vine.

When you mention staking it, what is best to use and how tall should they be? Do you stake more than one leaf together?

What should I use for a fertilizer and how often. I am changing her soil this weekend. How long should I wait to fertilize since we are coming into the fall season and I read you dont fertilize as much in the fall/winter...

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 8:29PM
tropicbreezent

Hopefulauthor, that's part of the garden out front that I neglect, hence the jungle look. The main garden out the back also looks like a jungle, but a bit more ordered and maintained. I don't want it to have that "manicured look". I love rainforests.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 7:14AM
tropicbreezent

Tifflj, the leaves will be coming from a stem which is buried under the soil in the pot. That stem will elongate, come up out of the soil and "look" for something higher to climb up on. If you put a stake/totem of some sort in the pot the plant will find it (or can easily be trained onto it). It doesn't need to be straight, you can even make a hoop. As it reaches the top and hangs down you can just re-attach it to the support again.

A photo of one starting off up a tree. (It's got a long way to go before it starts to hang down.)

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 7:21AM
rachelthepoet(7)

Tiff:

I'm right there with you with struggling to see how my little arrowhead vine will actually vine. It looks so nice and neat as it is in its pot. Hard to believe some of these before/after pictures. I'm excited to see the "transformation"!

-Rachel

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 4:12PM
More Discussions
Has anybody seen the micro ZZ Plant "Zamicro"?
They are a smaller amd more compact cultivar of the...
tlbean2004
Can i repot a pothos by sticking it in a larger pot and adding soil?
I have some pothos that are in 4 inch pots. I need...
tlbean2004
Fiddle Leaf Fig & Baby Jade help...
I've had this fiddle leaf fig for about a year. Why...
sjhermann
Is my pothos dying?
I bought a beautiful verigated pothos a few weeks ago...
Avantika
Fiddle Leaf Ficus brown edges, lighter color veins
I have the Fiddle Leaf Ficus for 2 years now. It was...
vlauz7b
Sponsored Products
Hello Kitty 10-Light String of Party Lights
$14.98 | Lamps Plus
My Little Pony Wall Clock
$14.99 | zulily
Solid Brass Gas Fireplace Log Lighter Key
Signature Hardware
Tech Lighting | ELEMENT - 3 Inch LED Wall Wash Housing
$416.00 | YLighting
Acu-Rite 08500 My Backyard Weather Alert Radio - 08500
$54.98 | Hayneedle