Why does Cauliflower turn purple?

marial1214(Z 6 PA)November 2, 2007

Some of my fall cauliflower are forming really nice heads. One of them is turning purple. I have seen this on last year's crop too. What causes that?

Is it supposed to do that? Is it good to eat like that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

You are growing white cauliflower and tying up the heads to blanch them, right. If you are in an area with strong sun, it will cause the heads to color. From The U of Wisconsin: "Some cauliflower varieties have a genetic propensity to having a higher concentration of red, purple, or blue pigments. This is the same harmless, water soluble pigment found in eggplant, red cabbage, berries, plums and grapes. In other types of cauliflower the colorless or white pigments will predominate. Purpling can develop in white varieties of cauliflower if the heads are exposed to light while developing. Usually, the leaves are tied over the heads.

If the cauliflower has a lot of purpling it is probably best to use it raw for relishes or salads. Heat may induce a color change from purple to gray or slate blue--especially if the water is hard or had an alkaline pH. If you prefer to have cooked cauliflower add a little vinegar or cream of tartar (tartaric acid) to the water."

Bookmark   November 2, 2007 at 1:25PM
marial1214(Z 6 PA)

Thanks, I am late in getting the leaves secured with the rubber bands this year. Thanks for your response.

Bookmark   November 7, 2007 at 11:09AM
vgkg(Z-7)

I find that a cloths pin is an easy fix, just clip 3 leaves for shade.

Bookmark   November 7, 2007 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
Cucumber Nutritional Deficiency
Hi guys, I'm a farmer based out of Shmedabad, Gujarat,...
dshaival
Radish in Miami
I grow mostly tomatoes, but once in a while I plant...
garf_gw
hand pollinate broccolini?
Thanks to you guys, I realized that I bought Broccoli...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™