Elly, my schefflera

tifflj(6 Pitts, PA)September 25, 2012

Elly is my "first houseplant". She was bought 2 years ago at Walmart. She was very very small when I brought her home. Havent had any issues with ehr except a few leaves dropped. I have no idea what soil I planted her in but I will bet it was MG. She was in higher light environment before moving here but seems to have adjusted well. She is in a 6" pot. Her new growth has also slowed down. :( Makes me sad. How big will she get?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowerpottipper

Looks really nice to me, I'd say whatever your doing, your doing it right. I'm not sure what causes leaf drop on these, mine goes through phases of dropping leaves for a little while, then it stops...it's a mystery to me. Hopefully someone else can tell us why.

The slow growing can be from a few things, most plants just naturally stop or grow slower in fall and winter time.

And these plants can get quite big. I know outside they can grow into trees, but inside I dont think they get much bigger then 5 feet (could be wrong, but thats the tallest I've ever seen of this plant indoors). Right now, my Schefflera arboricola variegated is about 3 and half feet tall and still throwing out new umbrellas of leaves.

-FPT

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 3:26AM
birdsnblooms

Hi Tiff,

Very nice Scheff. It's so cute and looks good.

Like FPT said, continue doing whatever you've been doing.

Scheffs leaves are green and healthy..

My Scheffs are semi-slow growing, moreso this year since they weren't summered outdoors.
There in a spot that doesn't get all that much sun, and they are sun lovers.

So, your Scheff will grow 5', possibly a little larger, but you'll be a little older then, too. lol. Toni

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 9:38AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Nice looking plant, very healthy!

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 9:51AM
scsva(7/VA)

Very nice looking Scheff!

Susan

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 12:57PM
theficuswrangler(9/10)

Looks pretty nice, but a more exact name is arboricola otherwise known as dwarf schefflera; it's botanical name is Brasaia actinophylla. A true schefflera has leaves 2 or 3 times this size, and in the tropics grows into an 80' tree. Arbs are more bushish, top out around 15', but you can keep them any size you need indoors. As they get older they like to spread out, and droop their branches down around the pot. After 10 years or more, they can easily spread 4 or 5'. Just don't keep it too wet. The soil needs to aerate to 85-90% between waterings.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 1:56PM
tropicbreezent

There's no genus Brasaia, but Brassaia actinophylla is a synonym of Schefflera actinophylla, so the same plant. The Dwarf Umbrella Tree is Shefflera arboricola and has variegated and different sized cultivars available.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
Planting Zones
I need to know the Zone for Toronto, Ontario, Canada....
bobv2
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Schefflera and corn plant sharing a pot?
Anyone tried planting schefflera and Dracaena Fragrans...
Peter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™