Is this a Large Leafed Schefflera?

hornetwife(Flour Bluff Tx Z9)October 26, 2008

Hi all,

I was at a party at a neighbor's house tonight and saw the most amazing plant ever! To me it looks like a seriously variegated large leafed schefflera like one I have called an Amate Schefflera. Can anyone tell me what this plant is? Because I am going to go to the end of the earth to find it.

The plant was in desperate need of watering but here it is:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

No, I think it's a Croton aka Codaeum, which is very thirsty indeed!

You'll need A LOT of very bright light to keep Crotons that color, insufficient light causes them to lose those colors & just grow green, I have grown them & had that happen 'til I moved it into much stronger light. Yes, they're heavy drinkers too & w/ lots of light & water can growth quite fast as well! Nice plants, enjoy!!

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 12:45AM
hornetwife(Flour Bluff Tx Z9)

Thanks Pirate Girl. Any idea what kind of Croton this is? I have been looking online at pics of Crotons and I can't find this one.

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 9:06AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

No, sorry, I don't know more specific names for Crotons than that, not sure they have them.

From what I've seen they're very variable in color. Also, you may not know this, these are members of Euphorbia family so watch out for their white sap (some white sap of SOME Euphorbias can be a skin irritant), so pls. wash well after handling, cutting, etc.

I've seen this Croton (think this is the one I had) at box stores & supermarkets, I think that's where I'd gotten mine.

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 11:53AM
mr_subjunctive

Crotons are members of the Euphorbiaceae, but they don't have white sap. Haven't really heard anything one way or the other about skin irritation potential; I would be surprised if it were a major problem for a lot of people but that's no reason not to use reasonable caution around them.

Crotons do have cultivars. Lots of them, in fact ('Mrs. Iceton' is a personal favorite). This one looks to me most like 'Petra,' though there are several with similar leaf size and shape so it might not be. See this page, which has pictures of a few different ones.

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 12:42PM

Thanks for the link. It does look alot like Petra colorwise but the leaf shape seems different. The Croton I want is shaped like a Schefflera leaf except for the leaf stems themselves being much shorter than the Scheff.

I was so excited to think this was a variegated Schefflera! I told my friend the other day I was no fan of Crotons. But now I must have this one. I guess I can take a pic of it to a nursery and see if they can find me one?

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 3:10PM
jasdip

The leaf shape is similar to your Schefflera only because it's parched. When it gets watered, the leaves will stand upright. I have 2 of these crotons and they will droop when they need watered, but I've never let them go as dry as in your pic. They do take a lot of water, and need sun.

Sherry

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 5:52PM

Sherry,
After studying more pics I see exactly what you are saying.
Thanks for the help, all. I am on the hunt for one!
Lori

Bookmark   October 27, 2008 at 11:31AM
jasdip

Hey, Hornetwife,
I'll trade you one of my crotons for a Schefflera!!! LOL
Just kidding. (I'm in Ontario). Still can't find a smallish scheff anywhere. The search goes on.

Sherry

Bookmark   October 30, 2008 at 2:37PM
More Discussions
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Has anybody seen the micro ZZ Plant "Zamicro"?
They are a smaller amd more compact cultivar of the...
tlbean2004
Fiddle Leaf Fig & Baby Jade help...
I've had this fiddle leaf fig for about a year. Why...
sjhermann
Worried about my Philodendren, Please help!
Hi there everyone. I loved the help that I got about...
huskymom87
Why does my anthirium want to commit suicide?
This is my anthirium and it is slowly dying? Judging...
sturmzie
Sponsored Products
Worlds Away - Dallas Champagne Silver Pendant - DALLAS S
Great Furniture Deal
Fredrick Ramond Impulse Modern Contempo Large Pendant
1800Lighting
Castle Black Extra-Large Four-Light Outdoor Wall Mount
$999.00 | Bellacor
Oval Copper Bucket - Large
Grandin Road
Joy Carpets Lots of Dots Kids Area Rug Multicolor - 1430-C
$239.99 | Hayneedle