Large Potted Tree too big

tom-in-flaOctober 25, 2011

I have a large tree ( Ti--not sure of the spelling). It has been outside all summer and grew too tall. This tree does not have branches but grows straight up with huge leaves. Its incredible looking but needs to come back into the house. Would look great in a beach-bar!

I have no idea what to do with this plant, but will be in big trouble if something can't be done to save it. Can it be cut in half? I'll try to take a picture tomorrow.

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Most trees can be cut back hard with little in the way of ill effects other than the fact you have to wait for them to fill out again, but let's reserve judgment until we see a picture or at least get it identified. FWIW, the time to be thinking about substantial reductions in the size of a tropical tree or houseplant is in the month immediately before its most robust growth - probably June, for you.

Al

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 7:42AM
tom-in-fla

Okay. Hard time figuring out how to post this pic. This website is different, see if you get the picture.

How can it be made smaller without killing it?

Tom

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 9:45PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I can't give you any meaningful advice w/o knowing what plant we're discussing or at least seeing a picture. If you can't post, just send me an email. I'll reply & then you can attach a picture.

Al

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 9:56PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Ti plant...one of the Cordylines.

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 10:21PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Huh! - the picture wasn't there before my last post - strange.

If it's too tall, you can cut it back to practically any ht you think you'd like it to be. It will back-bud & send out several lateral branches. If it was Jun or Jul, you could cut it back nearly to the soil line & just wait for it to back-bud, knowing that it would have the rest of summer to make leaves & store energy. Now though, you need to be aware of the fact that cutting off viable foliage is cutting back on the plant's ability to make food, so it would be best to be reserved and probably not take off more than 1/4-1/3 of the ht. DO leave all the lower foliage (below your pruning cut) on the plant, it's what will fuel new growth, along with whatever reserve energy the plant has now.

Al

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
String of Pearls
Here is a photo of what used to be a very healthy 'String...
bobv2
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Pilea Moonvalley - ID & Care
Just bought this plant. I'd appreciate ID confirmation...
bobv2
Dying Yukka Plant! Help!
Hi everyone, I have a yukka tree that is about 9 years...
fortunespace
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™