Muehlenbeckia complexa toxic?

Ispahan Zone6a ChicagoOctober 7, 2007

Hi all:

I recently acquired two beautiful cats and am wondering whether or nor I should bring in my specimen of Muehlenbeckia complexa (aka Maidenhair vine or creeping wire vine) which has been spending the summer outside on the porch. I can find absolutely no information about its toxicity online or in books.

The plant is much too large and heavy for me to hang it (it is currently in a 14" pot). It is gorgeous, easy care and I do not want to lose it. But I don't want it to make my cats sick, either.

I know cats naturally tend to avoid certain plants for nibbling. Does anyone have experience with Muehlenbeckia?

Thanks,

Ispahan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kioni(3)

I had the creeping wirevine plant one summer, loved it. Took cuttings and rooted in water to grow in the house over winter. My cat loved to chomp on a vine and scrape his teeth along the length of it, effectively peeling off the little leaves and leaving a bare stem. Little bugger. He never fell sick. Didn't see him actually eat a leaf. Don't know if the plant is toxic, but I have about 20 different houseplants and he's taken a taste of each one, but then that's it. One year I received a bunch of cut glads, and while trimming to put in a vase the cat jumped up on the counter and started munching away. I chased him away, 3 days later he regurgitated a little gift for me on the carpet, mere inches away from easily washable linoleum, and in it were 3 little pieces of glad leaf!

Last year I potted up some oats for him, and brought down to the floor each day, he loved to come over and knaw on the leaves for a few minutes at a time. I did that with the hopes he wouldn't keep tasting my houseplants. Must have worked, or he's grown out of that habit (THANK goodness!)

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 12:56AM
More Discussions
Pine Bark Fines Ontario Canada
Okay...5-1-1 mix! I am having trouble. First off the...
RioSeven
Ficus - fiddle leaf fig help
I have had my eye on this plant at a local greenhouse...
Spencer DT
Worried about my Philodendren, Please help!
Hi there everyone. I loved the help that I got about...
huskymom87
Question on pot-up house Azaleas
I have no problem growing florist Azalea as a houseplant....
jujujojo_gw
Please help? Need to Id these plants
i received these plants in a funeral arrangement and...
sparga83
Sponsored Products
Sealy Soybean EverEdge Crib Mattress - EM712-PHN1
$169.99 | Hayneedle
Dutailier Modern Glider - Espresso & Velvet Beige - 64A200-69-3093
$329.98 | Hayneedle
Kalon Studios | Echo Conversion Kit
YLiving.com
Prevue Pet Products Park Plaza Small Bird Cage - 3351BLK
$136.75 | Hayneedle
Sorelle Sterling Cradle - Merlot Multicolor - 81-M
$139.99 | Hayneedle