Anchoring Methods for Bottle Trees

ritaweedaMay 18, 2012

Can some of you share your methods of anchoring the bottle trees so they don't topple? This is for a natural tree, I have a young cedar sapling stripped of needles and ready to go.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancelee

We placed ours underneath a tall arbor and wired it to the top of the arbor as well as staking it into the ground.. Have had it for several years and it's stayed in place just fine despite the winds we have here. Also leave the bottles in place year round and not one has ever blown off or broken.
I would like to include a picture but don't see the "browse button".

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 3:47PM
trashydj

I dug a hole in the ground for mine I just did it friday and hope it stays ok haven't had a problem before with this method

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 6:14AM
toomuchglass(5)

I'm having one made ,too -- out of a real tree. I wasn't sure how to anchor it either. My flimsy metal one bent in the wind. The only solution I see is dig it real deep. Good luck with yours!

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 1:47PM
lindasewandsew(So Cal 9)

This is a big hunk of Manzanita tree. It's buried a few inches in the dirt. We cut apart a metal bed frame (website with bed frame photo below) and pounded two long pieces of the side rails about 4 feet into the ground, leaving about a foot above, then wrapped them and the trunk with plumber's tape (plumber's tape is metal banding with holes in it). We put some screws into the tape. It's held up very well. Elbow grease is needed for this job, lol.

Rebar can be pounded into the ground and wired to the tree.

If you have some sort of roof or frame above it, wire can be run up and fastened to stabilize it.

A concrete footing will also work.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of metal bed frame

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 2:32AM
TwoMonths(So Calif)

I curbshopped a floor lamp. The black metal ones with the 'bowl' top and heavy bottom. I took out the electrical parts and dug a hole and put the heavy metal bottom under the dirt a bit. The weight alone kept it pretty secure. I used copper pipe I had and curled it around a large pipe and stuck one end into top of the metal where I removed the 'bowl'. Then I stuck the bottles at the end of each of the curled copper pipes. Also my hubby kept some heavy metal circles from auto wheels and I use them to anchor a lot of things into the dirt.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 5:25PM
PKponder TX(7b)

My hubby drilled a hole through the trunk and inserted a heavy rebar rod which we stabbed into the ground a couple of feet. We have sandy soil so that may not be as easy for those dealing with clay or rock.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 5:51AM
More Discussions
GJ Inspiration Albums on Photobucket
I've not been here in a long time, but thought I'd...
Purplemoon
Hi all
I couldn't edit the subject...sorry ... I was thinking...
msjay2u
Good garden markers needed soon
Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers?...
Corkelcol
Thinking of turning this old water faucet into a short light post
I figured removing the faucet itself...and adding a...
cadillactaste
Christmas Bottle Tree
I finally got around to making a Christmas bottle tree...
lindasewandsew
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™