I'm concerned

Polly381(5/6)October 9, 2012

I had my plants outside for the summer. It rained quite a bit, well seemed like almost every day for 2 months. I tried to wait until they were dried out before I brought them in but then it rained again and the temp dipped down into the 40's the end of August/ early Sept so I brought them in.

My worry is that my big plants are to wet and will rot. The smaller plants have dried a bit. So far there is no sign that they are suffering. Should I be worried?

Before I put them out next summer the big plants are going into Al's mix.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Morning Polly...

Don't worry. We usually get quite a bit of rain in Oct, so far not much this year.

Before I bring plants inside, 'soil' and foliage is hosed, re-hosed and then placed in the kitchen sink, hosed again.

I detest spiders, so I want to make sure they're out of the pots..My plants are soaking wet by the time they're set in place.

The house is fairly dry..you'd be surprised how fast soil dries when air is dry.

If you're concerned about soil staying wet, and keep them outdoors, most likely it'll rain again. Before you know it, it'll be time to take plants outside again..lol..

Really Polly, no need to fret..Toni

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 9:48AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

If you think your plants are too wet, you can use a little science to help you fix it. Try inserting a wick into the drain hole & allow it to dangle beneath the pot bottom. Tilting the plant at a 45* angle when soils are soggy changes the shape of the soil occupied by perched water and actually reduces the amount of perched water the soil CAN hold, often forcing quite a bit of excess water to drain from the pot. If your plants are small enough, hold them over the sink & move them downward toward the sink and then smartly upward. The rapid reversal in direction from downward to upward employs Newton's First Law of Motion to help drain the pot. If the root/soil mass can be lifted from the pot intact - just remove the plant & set it on a stack of newspapers, towels, etc, for 5 minutes & all the perched water will be removed.

More help dealing with water-retention at the link below.

Best luck!

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me & I'll take you there!

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 10:09AM
Polly381(5/6)

thanks hopeful but they didnt have time to dry out for 2 months. I do the same thing to kill bugs and spideys. THey are not welcome vistors in my home either. LOL
Al yes I was thinking about that because of my other thread. But I wasnt sure if I can get the wick in far enough. I thought maybe it had to be put in place while repotting. S a wick is what I will do.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
Dying Calathea Plant
Hello all! I have recently started getting interested...
avanns
Desert Rose That Will Not Bloom
I have a desert rose that is roughly 4 or 5 years old....
Tiffany Martin
Can anyone ID this tree?
It's about 8' tall, a normal 'tree shape'. We got it...
laura242424
Who am I?
I was at WM and this fellow was on clearance and jumped...
savannaicus
Has anybody seen the micro ZZ Plant "Zamicro"?
They are a smaller amd more compact cultivar of the...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Set of Two English Bronze Buffet Lamps
Lamps Plus
WA 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 120/m 10mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Chocolate 'I Ride to Live' Wall Quotes™ Decal
$19.99 | zulily
Leather and Felt iPhone Case
| Dot & Bo
Carson 44 in. Signature Series Family Wind Chime - 60252
$79.99 | Hayneedle