New plants

marricgardensOctober 21, 2012

Last night we went to HD and I bought 3 new houseplants, yes I'm getting hooked. I saw them on the reduced table and got them for half price. They are Kalanchoe 'Magic Bells', Peperomia 'LL Green' and an Anthurium. The Kalanchoe didn't look to well because it had been neglected but I thought I might be able to revive it. It had been reduced to $3. The first thing I did to it when I got home was set it in water so it could take up what it needed. The soil was bone dry. It had also finished flowering but was showing new growth at the bottom and some at the top. The peperomia was healthy looking but the Anthurium was just finished flowering. Don't know why it was on the table but for $10 I figured why not take it home. Anyone have any of these and could tell me how to look after them? Thanks. Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meyermike_1micha(5)

Marg! Where's the pics? I'll bet after receiving help here, they will look ten x better than they already do. In fact, they probably already do now they have left that store.

Mike

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 9:13AM
marricgardens

They're coming! Had to recharge my camera battery. I guess I hit them on a day when they got new shipments of other plants in and had to clear out some old stuff. I have never seen a Kalanchoe 'Magic Bells' before so I googled it when I got home and am really glad I bought it. When I went to pick off a dried flower, there were lots of tiny seeds in it. Never had that before either. The new Bromelaids were beautiful but at $25 each they had to stay in the store! I will post pics of my babies later today or tomorrow. Marg

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 10:28AM
marricgardens

Here are the pics of my new babies. The first one is Kalanchoe 'Magic Bells'.

Here you can see the new growth.

These pics were edited to correct them but I don't know why it didn't take. Sorry about that. Marg

This is my new LL Green peperomia.

The last plant wasn't labeled but I think it might be Anthurium? There is some discoration on the leaves. In the bottom pic, the large leaf on the right is not discolored, I think it is just the light reflecting of it.

I edited these pics to correct them but I don't know what I did wrong. Sorry about that. Marg

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 10:52AM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Cool, is that kalanchoe one of those that produces baby plants on the leaves, in which case it could be Bryophyllum, and that new growth could be one of the babies that fell off. Or it could just be as labelled, a kalanchoe.
(Kalanchoe and Bryophyllum are pretty much the same, but all kalanchoes that produced babies were moved to Bryophyllum)

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 11:15AM
marricgardens

I don't know if those are babies or just new growth, guess I'll learn as I go. I googled it and it is from the family Crassulaceae (sp?). Marg

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 12:27PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Yea they're both from the crassula family. Its a huge family including sedum and sempervivum

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 12:36PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

For the Anthurium, lots of light, allow to dry to barely moist, never soggy. I got one in June, you can see its' progress here if you want. Some other people's pics too. You might also enjoy the article for Anthurium at "Plants are the strangest people" blog.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
Pruning Ficus Lyrata (fiddle leaf fig)
Hi everyone! I have a 5 foot tall healthy, indoor ficus...
erich60660
Plant identification & care
Are the plants in the photo a variety of Dracaena?...
bobv2
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
Jasmine plant in suspended animation
Hi all, Hubby bought me a little jasmine plant for...
vamtngranny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™