Bottle Wall - Bottle Art Sculpture

sherma(4-5)May 28, 2012

I've been wanting to do a bottle wall to display a rainbow of colored glass. My husband is helping me figure it out. We will make the frame from copper and will string bottles with rows of cable approximately 6" apart. I've laid out my placement (see photo) and will be drilling the holes this week. We have found that a glass bit (arrow head) doesn't cut the holes very good so we have subsequently broke a couple pieces. I've ordered a diamond core drill bit and hope for better results.

Has anyone ever built one of these? I can't find anything on the web. It's purely for aesthetics, but I would like to build it to last. Any pointers out there?

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Calamity_J(z7bc)

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!! If you go to a stained glass store, they will have diamond bits that you buy for about $20 that are 1/4 inch, they fit on your drill(I use my cordless drill) and you keep a sponge soaked with water to keep the drilling wet, if you don't you wear out your bit faster. I have an idea for something similar to this that is percolating in my mind...so yours is VERY inspirational!!! There are cheaper diamond bits to buy out there, but I find that they are a cheaper product, so getting a good bit is worth it. I use mine to drill 1/4inch glass. Maybe a glass shop would be able to get you one also. Also, if you are careful by not pushing too hard...but some glass just doesn't take to being drilled....

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 12:08PM
jlily(Z6)

WONDERFUL! Such a work of art. I am anxious to see your finished progress-or WIP. Thank you for sharing. ENJOY!
Jlily

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 12:35PM
Marlene Kindred

Love the colors and patterns you've chosen. I've only seen a couple of pictures of "walls" that look similar to what you're doing and I don't remember where. Thanks for sharing your work with us and I look forward to seeing your finished wall! The only advice I have is to be careful that the glass you choose is actually colored glass and not stained or painted as that will fade with light exposure.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 1:52PM
rosiew(8 GA)

How fabulous looking. Wish the picture was full screen so I could drool on it easier. What sort of bottles/what sizes are you using. Also what sort of cable - will you be securing the bottoms to the copper frame?

Will be following your progress. Get busy!!

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 12:15PM
freshair2townsquare(z7/8, D/FW)

progress?

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 10:47PM
anita(z5 UT)

I saw a picture of something like this before-I think it was on Pintrest. I think it is beautiful.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
Dehydrator trays
Does anyone have ideas for recycling food dehydrator...
hokypuk
Re purposing A Window
Hi, I just got all new windows for my house, and don't...
gabby811 6 NJ
Looking for fellow aussies - I've got glass to get rid of!
Hi Folk I started on the exciting journey of glass...
aussie_mum
Glass Totems at Longwood Garden
I was amazed to see several glass totem bird baths...
frankielynnsie
Working with crushed gemstones
Maybe this is a question to a wrong forum, but I see...
briergardener_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™